Can i boil my flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefencore

Reaction score
How can I tell if my flask is able to be boiled then put into a cold water bath without breaking? There are no markings on it besides gradations (?)
I'm about to start soon, and don't wanna find out the hard way.

Eh, why do you want to boil it? Maybe there's a safer alternative. I think if it was Pyrex, it would maybe be ok, but I still wouldn't risk putting it through a temperature shock.

I am assuming he/she is making a starter, so they would boil the DME and water in the flask, then cool it in an ice bath.

I am assuming he/she is making a starter, so they would boil the DME and water in the flask, then cool it in an ice bath.

I would still boil it in a pot, then cool it in the pot, then transfer it to a sanitized flask. There's no risk in breaking anything by doing that, and by boiling it, everything except for the flask is sanitized. Just sanitize the flask, and you will be good to go.

Assuming you bought the flask from any LHBS or any reputable online vendor, it will be fine to boil it on the stove. Make yourself a trivet (something metal to keep the flask off of direct heat, I use a cookie cooling rack on the element) and you will be fine. If you do not trust the flask completely I would not stick it in an ice bath, but boiling it will be fine.

As this is my only flask, and I desperately need this starter (the brew it will be pitched into is actually a 'starter' for another big beer) I decided not to chance it at all. I plan to call my lhbs to verify tomorrow.
Thanks everyone!

You could still just treat your flask like a fermentation vessel and make your starter today. Just boil the starter in a pot, cool it, sanitize the flask, and pour it in. Add yeast and watch the magic happen.

beninan said:
You could still just treat your flask like a fermentation vessel and make your starter today. Just boil the starter in a pot, cool it, sanitize the flask, and pour it in. Add yeast and watch the magic happen.

Already in the works. Just not going to chance breaking my flask. My ingredients arrive tomorrow night and I'm gonna get brewing asap!!

I was nervous the first few times I used mine too...got it from Northern Brewer.

Now, I boil it on the stove with some Fermcap-S to stop boilovers. I still don't immediately go to an ice bath...I'll run the sides under some water first and then into the ice bath. I'm sure in the near future, I'll take it straight from the flame to ice.

The key is to make sure not to raise the cold (ice bath) water level higher than the hot liquid in the flask/erlenmeyer. Doing so will increase the chance of breakage.

w/o markings it's a gamble.

I boil my starter and then pour the wort into the flask still hot. Then set the flask in the fridge for a few hours to cool down, pitch and then on the stir plate.

The whole point of the flask/erlenmeyer is the ability to boil directly in the flask.

The whole point of the flask/erlenmeyer is the ability to boil directly in the flask.

+1 You have a very keen perception for the obvious. With a little care you can do it without it boiling over on the stove or cracking when cooling. I use a $9 hot plate from the Dollar store to heat the flask. I've found a setting where I can set it and forget it. It will slowly come to a boil, but not boil over. I have it hooked up to a timer that shuts it down automatically. I cap it loosely with foil at the start and let it cool naturally. When I am in a hurry I use a water bath, but I never go immediately from a boil to ice water. I let the flask cool for 10 minutes or so before putting it in a pan and slowly filling the pan with water. Been doing it this way for a very long time and haven't lost a flask yet. Oh yeah, don't forget to use a wire trivet under the flask if using an electric coil type burner. You can easily make one from a wire coat hanger. A star pattern is easy to make and works well.

Personally I've given up in boiling directly with the flask. My elec stove requires lots of fine tuning to prevent boil-over. I simply make my wort in a pot and pour into the sanitized flask after the boil.

Back