Can I age on oak while force carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I brewed my first oaked beer and just removed the dry hops and racked into a keg. I want it on the oak another 2 weeks. It there any reason to not put the keg on gas and in the fridge while it mellows on the oak? I put a long string in the keg connected to the bag of marbles/oak so I can pull it out easily when it's done.

Boiling or soaking in alcohol of your choice will sanitize the oak.

Yea, I boiled the oak, marbles and bag. Sanitized the string. The questions was do I need to keep it at ale temps to age or can I keg, fridge and carb while oaking.

Yea, I boiled the oak, marbles and bag. Sanitized the string. The questions was do I need to keep it at ale temps to age or can I keg, fridge and carb while oaking.

Oh my bad. Yeah, what Irrenarzt said.

I'd always heard that dry hopping in a cold keg took longer for the same amount of flavor to extract, which is why you could leave the hops in there for the life of the keg without ever getting any grassy flavors. Would the same happen with oak? If nothing else, it should be carbed pretty close at 2 weeks, so you could just take a taste and leave the oak in there until its where you want it. If you do decide to let it sit longer, let us know, this could save me a bunch of time in the future :D.

Also, for your bag string, plain dental floss works great. So long as you've got a nice seal, you can leave the string sticking out through the lid when you close, and whenever you want to take the oak out just pull up on the string to raise the bag without having to actually open up the keg.

Back