Can I add more water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasJoseph315

Reaction score
First batch ever made is in the secondary fermentation, not sure why, but looks like water is a little low, recipe is for 5 gal, this is a 5 gal carboy, should I add more water? Will it dilute anything?
2016-06-16%2010.29.15_zpsb7ti704b.jpg

First batch ever made is in the secondary fermentation, not sure why, but looks like water is a little low, recipe is for 5 gal, this is a 5 gal carboy, should I add more water? Will it dilute anything?
2016-06-16%2010.29.15_zpsb7ti704b.jpg

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

it will dilute everything: flavor, IBU, ABV

leave it alone, package when it's done. sorry, you won't have a full 5 gallons

it's a learning experience, next time compensate for those losses (grain absorption & deadspace in tun, if all-grain and boil off, trub, racking losses all need to be taken into account) throughout the process and you'll end up with a full 5 gallons in bottles or keg

How long ago did you pitch the yeast?

10 days ago, it's already primary fermented, I just moved it into secondary fermentation. Is Oxygen in that space going to mess anything up? I am not going to cry over 1/2 gallon of beer missing.

it will dilute everything: flavor, IBU, ABV

leave it alone, package when it's done. sorry, you won't have a full 5 gallons

it's a learning experience, next time compensate for those losses (grain absorption & deadspace in tun, if all-grain and boil off, trub, racking losses all need to be taken into account) throughout the process and you'll end up with a full 5 gallons in bottles or keg

So if recipe calls for a final 5 gallons and I start with say 6 gallons of water will it not still dilute?

So if recipe calls for a final 5 gallons and I start with say 6 gallons of water will it not still dilute?

start with 6, end with 5 is concentrating, not diluting

you lose water/wort/beer at different points in the brewing process and you just have to estimate and account for those losses to end up at your desired volume.

but the more times you brew, the less estimating and more knowing what you lose at each stage. you still have to account for those losses, it's just the nature of the beast

here's a good resource.

start with 6, end with 5 is concentrating, not diluting

you lose water/wort/beer at different points in the brewing process and you just have to estimate and account for those losses to end up at your desired volume.

but the more times you brew, the less estimating and more knowing what you lose at each stage. you still have to account for those losses, it's just the nature of the beast

here's a good resource.

Should I use the same amount of ingredients regardless if the recipe is for 5 gallons if I start with 6 instead?

Your ingredients will dictate how much water to start with. More grain more hops means more water, since they're dry ingredients and will absorb a predictable amount

Any brewing software worth anything will calculate all that for you

10 days ago, it's already primary fermented, I just moved it into secondary fermentation. Is Oxygen in that space going to mess anything up? I am not going to cry over 1/2 gallon of beer missing.

Then I wouldn't mess with it.

Latest posts

Back