Can I add Irish Moss to a kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slive

Reaction score
Hey! The question is pretty much what the title is. I'd like to use 1 tbsp of Irish Moss in a pre-made kit (5 gallons). Is that going to cause any big problems with the actual brew itself? Are the kits the way they are for a reason? Or is there 'wiggle room' for additional ingredients?

Also, I've seen many different directions as to how long you should rehydrate and boil the moss. To be safe, I would just add my Irish Moss at the outset of the boil with the bittering hops and let it boil the full 60 minutes. Any suggestions there?

Generally you're supposed to add it in the last 10 minutes or so of the boil. Some people rehydrate it, I just dump it in there.

1 tbsp is a lot of Irish Moss, that should do a good job.

Also, I think there is not much point in using Irish Moss unless you are making all grain or at least a partial mash, an extract batch will be pretty clear on its own, Irish Moss won't help much.

Well, it's a partial mash kit, and I've noticed in previous batches that it's pretty cloudy once it's fully done, I think there's room for improvement with the Irish Moss.

Thanks for the quick response!

Slive said:
Hey! The question is pretty much what the title is. I'd like to use 1 tbsp of Irish Moss in a pre-made kit (5 gallons). Is that going to cause any big problems with the actual brew itself? Are the kits the way they are for a reason? Or is there 'wiggle room' for additional ingredients?

Also, I've seen many different directions as to how long you should rehydrate and boil the moss. To be safe, I would just add my Irish Moss at the outset of the boil with the bittering hops and let it boil the full 60 minutes. Any suggestions there?

I assure you, it's not a problem! I'll even say it's a good idea. However, I'd add it with about 15 minutes left in the boil, and a tablespoon seems like a lot to me.

There is always wiggle room, and I wouldn't hesitate to add or remove ingredients to a kit. However, if it's one of your first batches, you might want to stick to the recipe...apart from the Irish moss anyhow. Down the road, once you've got a few batches under your belt, experimenting with different ingredients is fun and educational.

Ahhh, gotcha! One TEASPOON!

Now, what should I be doing regarding rehydration or just throwing it in? How exactly would I rehydrate? Just stick the stuff in a cup of water first?

I'm probably reading too far into all this stuff, it's not quite clear yet :p

I always rehydrate it, but I don't really know if it makes a difference. That's just what I've always done. I put a little warm water in a cup and mix that together when I had my first hops. Then, I add it to the boil with 15 minutes left. Most of the water is absorbed so I just dump the whole amount in.

I re-hydrate irish moss by adding a teaspoon of it to a half-cup of water that I had heated in the microwave. Once the irish moss has hydrated for 30 min, I dump it in for the last 15 min of the boil...nice and easy!

I add it to every batch... 1tsp right in the boiling wort. Some kits come with a white tablet called whirlfloc... thats an alternate.

Back