Can I add brewing sugar *after* primary attenuation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Futureman

Reaction score
I've had a scotch ale in the primary for 4 days. The attenautive phase is complete and the krausen has fallen. The beer smells terrific--malty and very clean (just how I like it). And while it may be too soon to tell, the ABV at this point appears a little lower than I had hoped.

I have some brewing sugar (dextrose & maltodextrin mixture) on hand, and I'm wondering if I could add some without ruining flavor or lightening to the brew too much. Again, I'm happy with the appearance and smell, and I would hate to ruin a potentially great beer. Still, a bit more alcohol would be nice. Am I able to add at this point, how much is ideal?

I'm not sure what you mean by the ABV being lower than you had hoped. I'm guessing you mean that your F.G. is higher than you expected. After only 4 days, it likely will be.

+1 to leaving it alone - for at least another couple of weeks.

I wouldn't and here's why: your brewing sugar isn't 100% fermentable. the malto-dextrine in there won't ferment, and will actually just add body to the beer but not much sweetness.

at 4 days though, you are not done with primary, especially with a higher ABV beer.

and we can't really gauge a thing without your gravity readings. ALWAYS have those in a post to save yourself some time on the answer :)

Latest posts

Back