can hops grow downward?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokingscroll

Reaction score
so iam running out of room on my lines my hops are at feet and growing can i trian them on another line to go down or do i trim or do i let them keep growing???

Gravity will help them grow down. Just make sure they can't reach anything you don't want them on. If they can reach it they will try to climb it.

when the sag enough the will start to climb themselves. at least that is what all of mine have done in the past

Plants like hops have gravity sensitive organs (like the statoconium in most animals' inner-ears) which indicates which way is up (read: towards the sun.) Their roots have the same thing that makes them seek downwards... but that also has to do with attraction to moisture and nutrients.

If you continually bind them down you can make them grow in any fashion you want.... it just requires constant upkeep as hop bines grow so friggin fast.

Hope that helps!

I have been trying to grow them downward for the past few weeks. They do not like it and try to get off the trellis and grow up. However I am slowly getting them to stay attached to the trellis in a downward direction.

Gravity will help them grow down. Just make sure they can't reach anything you don't want them on. If they can reach it they will try to climb it.

Yes, I have a 15' teepee set up and when they reach the top they reach skyward but with nothing to grab they fall back as far as they went past the top and then grow up again. The top is as wide as the bottom due to this.

Latest posts

Back