Can gushing be due to yeast sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonde

Reaction score
I just had the first preview of a test batch, and unfortunately it was quite a gusher.

The thing is, that this small 1g test batch gave me some serious trouble during bottling. I decided that due to the small amount I would bottle straight from the primary… ufff… Mixed the priming sugar fine, but then trouble came along… My bottle filler kept being filled with hop leafs (from the dry hops) so the bottle filling took ages and I had to pump my siphon to even getting something in the bottles, which caused a lot of stirring.

After a few days I saw that the yeast sediment was massive in each bottle, 1 inch. Well as this batch was only meant for small samples to evaluate the recepie it dosent matter that much.

THE PROBLEM: After 1 day in the fridge first sample tasted absolutely great, but the yeast sediment very quickly rose to the top of the bottle and it started gushing “nice” and slow. Can the extreme yeast sediment be the cause of this problem?

I know my process sounds a little sloppy here, but it’s only a test batch, so I’m not as thorough as usual.

It usually does that while the yeast is still working (not finished carbonating). Leave them at least 2 weeks in a warmish place before you open the bottles.

It's been carbing for 16 days at 23C (73F) which usually is enough especially with the pretty agressive Wyeast 1084 right?

i know, i know, i know... At least 3-4 weeks for the right carb, but to little time shouldn't cause a gusher or am i wrong?

If it got oxygenated, that could have lead to the yeast reproducing (and hence having a lot in the bottle).

Then it could be down to using too much priming sugar. Try cellaring / chilling for a week before the next, it'll help the CO2 produced dissolve more into the beer and not rapidly escape when you open (and hence gush).

I'm sure if you scale up the batch and use a secondary (even if its only for a few days to let any crap transfered from primary while siphoning settle out) and take your time / be careful it'll be fine on the bigger batch.

Will try a week in the fridge, the 1 day cooling used to work with most of my other beers.

The reason for the layer in the bottles, was pumping the siphon while stirring the yeast sediment, so almost pulled it all up in to the bottles, thought that somebody might had tried something similar with yeast cake in the bottles.

FWIW, I used to get the same from Chimmay bottles when serving them at a bar. Popped the lid and on the way to the table it'd start foaming out the top (usually Chimmay red). I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and just take your time when you come to do the 'real' batch, as I'm sure you will.

Back