Can fermentation start too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millsware

Reaction score
I brewed two batches today via parti-gyle. Last Sunday I prepared a 1 qt. starter for WLP 500 w/ stir plate. I let it run 48 hrs, then put it in fridge until this morning. Started WLP 565 Wednesday, let run 48 hrs, then fridge until this morning. Chilled both batches to 70, decanted most of starter and pitched slurry. Both ferms had started within 3-4 hours.

Has anyone had this before?

For those yeasts, slower is probably better. During the lag phase the yeast are developing the precursors for the flavors. If it takes off too soon, you will not get all the flavor out of the yeast.

Having said that, I've had them start that quick (although I try to be in the 8 to 14 hour range), and it is a nice feeling knowing everything is working fine.

Thanks. I just moved up from "shake it when you walk by" starters. I think the fastest I had seen before that was 6-8 hours.

Common with well oxygenated wort and a proper sized starter. Pitching the starter at high kraeusen can even shorten the lag time.

Back