Can fermentation continue at this point?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotspurdotus

Reaction score
Hey folks, tried my first batch of cider using the following instructions from this thread

if you like this simple one, you'll love this next I brewed up. I used some advice from CvilleKevin and came up with a super simple, and tasty hard cider

5 gallons tree topp AJ
2-3lbs of raw Orange blossom honey to take the O.G. to 1.065

add 4 gallons of Tree Top AJ to primary. Warm a quart of AJ (not boil) and add honey to mix it and dissolve it. add this a bit at a time until you reach your OG of 1.065

Make a yeast starter, and use Nottingham yeast. Add this to to juice, when juice is room temp. Over the course of the next 4-5 days take a gravity reading daily..until you get it dropped down to 1.020...cold crash it...and then add 1 tablespon of cinnamon extract..and then keg and carb.
Dan

I used Giant Eagle AJ (from concentrate, no preservatives) and clover honey, but otherwise I followed the recipe. I had an OG of 1.060 and a final of 1.020.

I cold crashed in my new freezer, but ended up freezing it (my thermostat hadn't arrived yet and I left it plugged in for too long). I let it thaw, and it was still bubbling nicely when I kegged it and put it in my kegerator.

After a week or carbing, I tasted it again and found it too just sweet for my taste. I pulled the corny from the kegerator and let it sit at room temperature, hoping it would dry out a bit.

It's been 4 days at 68F or so, and the SG hasn't moved. Has the freezing or carbing action retarded the fermentation process so that it won't pick up again? Should I just cut my losses and drink my overly sweet cider, or should I just be patient? Any advice would be appreciated.

Give it a couple weeks time. 4 days is not much time when you have stressed the yeast like that.

You might have to cut your losses and drink it or blend it a bit with a mixer or brew up a smaller gravity cider and blend it to taste.

I would test it on friends before you do anything as it might be a popular beverage even if you don't like it right now.

If you've killed the yeast you might try re-pitching some fresh. But I agree with the previous post, give it time.

If you've killed the yeast you might try re-pitching some fresh. But I agree with the previous post, give it time.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm out of Nottingham, I do have some freshly washed WLP001 California Ale yeast I could pitch. Acceptable choice at this juncture?

Back