Can Brett and Pedio be harvested?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plazola86

Reaction score
I just pre ordered Funk Weapon #2 and Sour Weapon from Bootleg Biology and I'm excited to try both. This will be my first time working with both of these. Can I still use my harvesting methods like I do me regular yeast? I build a big starter, save about half for future use and pitch the other half in the wort.

I tend to think you'd need a different method, but I'm not sure. I'll be following the answers. (PS, you might get more and better answers to this if you posted it in the Lambic & Wild Brewing section of the forum.)

Asked in that section as well. Thanks for the advice.

You can harvest Brett easy, just like any normal yeast. Pedio does like to flocculate though, it takes longer. Got #2 and #3 and their Pedio but it in a sour so won't know for a while.

Not entirely sure about pedio, but you can definitely harvest brett. I've spoken with Jeff from Bootleg Biology and I think it is worth mentioning that the strain of pedio used in sour weapon will kill any other bacteria you pitch in a mixed culture. Sacch and brett are fine, but any lacto/pedio or other sp of bacteria will be killed by this strain.

Thanks guys! emailed bootleg directly and received this response. Cant wait to start working with these!

"If you do the save some of your starter method, definitely can do the same with these cultures. For the Pedio, I'd probably add 2g per liter of Calcium Carbonate as a pH buffer if you're going to hold on to it. Otherwise the bacteria will drop the pH so much they may start affecting viability quickly."

Back