Can Beer Line Cleaner Be Used to Clean a Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewDecadeBrewery

Reaction score
Pardon me if this has been covered before. I did a search on HBT and also on Google and didn't find the answer.

I just cleaned my lines and faucets by running National Chemicals' beer line cleaner through my lines. I used a well rinsed and visually "clean" keg as a dispensing vessel for the BLC that i shook around in the keg. Since I have a beer to keg I am wondering if I can just flush the keg with star-San and fill it with beer. I mean if it cleans the inside of the lines and faucets why wouldn't it sufficiently clean the inside of the keg? Is there anything I am missing here?

http://www.nationalchemicals.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=56

"Attention Craft Brewers!
Though it was formulated for cleaning lines, BLC is fantastic for small craft and home brewing operations. BLC quickly enters solution, removing and suspending soil in all water temperatures without extended contact times or excessive rinsing. BLC is also easier on hands than most brewing specific products. "

Should be fine. I think I'd flush with water and then star San. LLC is caustic isnt it? Better safe than sorry.

That's pretty much what I've been doing and haven't had a problem yet. Flush with BLC, rinse with hot water, then star-san and it's ready for filling!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I flushed with water after the BLC, took out the dip tube and brushed it for good measure, and then flushed with Star-San. Thanks all for the responses.

Back