Can anyone tell me what this is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
I brewed an american ale yesterday and just recently started using a bucket as a primary, which makes me kind of nervous, as I cant see whats going on inside:).

I pitched the yeast last night and I went to check on it this morning(which I know I shouldn't do). Anyways I'am trying to get better on some of the brew terms, so I snapped this picture hoping someone could tell me what it is?

IMG_0197.jpg

Yeast rafts & a bit of krausen bubbles. Now seal it up & leave the yeasties alone to do their thing. They have their own timeline that usually doesn't suit ours.

Thanks for the responses guys. Had a infection in my last batch, so I'am super paranoid now. Just need to get some good batches under my belt.

Looks like you've got a good one so far. And don't secondary unless you need to. If you do,make sure it's a 5 gallon carboy/BB for 5 gallons,etc. You don't want a lot of head space in secondary. Too much head space in secondary with little co2 production equals air which leads to infections growing in it.

The recipe calls for a 1/2 once of dry hopping in secondary. So, I figured I would use a plastic carboy for the secondary?

No need to secondary,but you can if you like. I don't. Sanitize a hop sack for each ounce of dry hops used. Don't want to crowd the hops too much. I dry hop one week.

No need to secondary,but you can if you like. I don't. Sanitize a hop sack for each ounce of dry hops used. Don't want to crowd the hops too much. I dry hop one week.

Is there a specific reason you use hops sacks for dry hopping? I just dump mine in and have never had a problem, whole cones or pellets.

I do it so that I have an easier time transferring into the bottling bucket. Nothing sucks worse than a clogged autosiphon.

Both my fermenters & bottling bucket have spigots. Makes life easier & no streams of bubbles like with the auto syphon. The hop sacks keep things cleaner with less trub on the yeast cake. Good for if you're washing the yeast.

I have 2 kegs that Iam waiting to put spigots in. Thanks for all the advice.

Same beer been fermenting almost 13 days. Whats the gunk all the way to the right?

pale 2.jpg

The stuff on the sides is just gunk from the receeding krausen. don't touch it,just leave it where it is for cleaning day. It makes bitter funk in the beer if you scrape it back in.

Apart from your Beer , I'm really worried about your eyes !

Could you please take care of the sharpness of your Photos .

Hector

I take it on my phone and then when I post they get re-sized.

It looks like normal yeast shenanigans to me too!

I think hector was referring to the fact that the picture was out of focus - maybe you can mess with your phone so that it focuses at the right distance, and also make sure to keep it steady while taking the picture, and even sized down you should get sharp pictures :)

Minor thread-jack! unionrdr: the spigot on your fermentors is for easy transfer to bottling buckets without having to form a siphon, I assume? How does that work for ya? And is the trub level ever too high such that the spigot doesn't work? :D

Cheers!

It looks like normal yeast shenanigans to me too!

I think hector was referring to the fact that the picture was out of focus - maybe you can mess with your phone so that it focuses at the right distance, and also make sure to keep it steady while taking the picture, and even sized down you should get sharp pictures :)

Minor thread-jack! unionrdr: the spigot on your fermentors is for easy transfer to bottling buckets without having to form a siphon, I assume? How does that work for ya? And is the trub level ever too high such that the spigot doesn't work? :D

Cheers!

The trub has never stayed so high as to block the spigots. I strain into primary as well. I have rack tubes to fit my fermenters from the spigot to the bottling bucket on the floor. Compacted trub stays put after 3-4 weeks in primary.

Latest posts

Back