Can Anyone tell me what happen to my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slyfoxdr

Reaction score
I am new a brewing and have never seen this before. Everything looked normal at bottling but today was the beer should be ready to drink, so I poured my self and glass and found some small white flakes floating in it? If anyone can tell what it is or if I should throw it out that would be great. Thanks. I tried to post a photo of it not sure it it worked. New to this forum.

IMG_20120912_144855.jpg

EDIT: Oops, didn't read, just thought it was a carboy picture. Agreed with below, give it some time and they'll drop out. Nothing to worry about.

Fermentation is what happened to your beer. That's yeast. When they're done eating, they clump together and hang out. Totally normal.

I think the OP means its already been bottled and this is poured into a glass. Is that correct?

If it has been bottled, how long did you leave it in your primary fermenter? Most likely they are just floaties, little bits of yeast that got stirred up and suspended in your beer from the bottom of the bottle. This is totally normal (even happens in many commercial bottle conditioned beers, I've had plenty). You could leave the bottles in the fridge longer and wait for the yeast to compact more.

Looks a heck of a lot like Mars from orbit. Musta been a messy fermentation. As long as it smelled/tasted good,you're fine. It looks like multi-layered yeasties to me. Different for sure. But not an infection.

Try to perfect your pour.
Keep the yeast sediment from pouring out, and keep for agitating the bottle very much prior to making your pour.

Floaters are absolutely nothing to worry about. Keep in your fermenter for three weeks and the vast majority will drop out. Keep in there longer for more. For some reason it seems to happen with some kits/recipes, and not with others.

Back