Can anyone tell how to calculate how much space the malt takes up in a pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a way to calculate (in gallons or liters) the amount of space the malt is going to take up in a pot....
Let's say...I use 10 lbs...then it would take up space that equals to about 5 liters?

2 lbs should account for the space of 1 liter (1.05 qts)....I guess....right?

10 lb of grain would displace 3.03 liters

according to http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml (scroll down to CAN YOU MASH IT), 10 lb of grain in .001 qt of water per pound would occupy .8 gallons = 3.03 liters

edit: actually, say closer to 3 liters. i forgot to take the water back out. .001 qts/lb x 10 lbs = .01 quarts = .04 liters, so you would end up with 2.99 liters.

close enough to an even 3 liters

according to http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml (scroll down to CAN YOU MASH IT), 10 lb of grain in .001 qt of water per pound would occupy .8 gallons = 3.03 liters

edit: actually, say closer to 3 liters. i forgot to take the water back out. .001 qts/lb x 10 lbs = .01 quarts = .04 liters, so you would end up with 2.99 liters.

close enough to an even 3 liters

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to understand what .001 qt refers to in this equation....can you explain it to me please?

it would have worked with any amount of water but not 0, so I just did the smallest amount that the calculator would take. I was going for "almost no water"

so... 10lbs of grain in almost no water takes up .8 gallons.

it could have easily been 1.25 qts per pound, like a normal mash. 10lbs of grain in 12.5 quarts of water takes up 3.93 gallons. subtract the 12.5 quarts of water to get the grain displacement = .8 gallons

it would have worked with any amount of water but not 0, so I just did the smallest amount that the calculator would take. I was going for "almost no water"

so... 10lbs of grain in almost no water takes up .8 gallons.

it could have easily been 1.25 qts per pound, like a normal mash. 10lbs of grain in 12.5 quarts of water takes up 3.93 gallons. subtract the 12.5 quarts of water to get the grain displacement = .8 gallons
Ah,ok ok. Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

GrogNerd said:

This is consistent with Palmer's How to Brew website, but my experience has been about double. Maybe my grains are... really... plump?

You could always do a quick bench trial to see what you get.

This is consistent with Palmer's How to Brew website, but my experience has been about double. Maybe my grains are... really... plump?

You could always do a quick bench trial to see what you get.

forgot about grain absorption. good catch

so you really can't "subtract the water to get the grain displacement," they have to be calculated together

but .08 gallons per pound dry and x2 wet would be good rule-of-thumb

Back