Can anyone recommend a wine kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
I already am very much into beer brewing and have the required equipment, minus a corker. I know nothing about wine kits.
My wife and I really enjoy good pinot noir from napa/sonoma.
Any recommendations for an ingredient kit?
Thanks

I would highly recommend the Cellar Craft kits, especially the ones with the crushed grape packs in the Showcase collection. I would steer away from the lower end Winexpert kits. I made a few of those and didn't like them at all. Like many things in life, you get what you pay for. A $150 kit is a lot better than an $80 kit IMHO.

RJ Spagnols Malbec Syrah limited quantity kit was the first and most likely only kit I will make. Initial tastes were excellent but it needs to age a bit more. I wound up buying some Zorks, so you don't need a corker - just a strong arm! If you use those make sure they fit the bottles you will be using.

Overall I consider the wine kit process to be a let down after so many brewing experiences - in a word, boring. But it does give you an overview of the process. I would probably want to do it from grapes next time.

I would highly recommend the Cellar Craft kits, especially the ones with the crushed grape packs in the Showcase collection. I would steer away from the lower end Winexpert kits. I made a few of those and didn't like them at all. Like many things in life, you get what you pay for. A $150 kit is a lot better than an $80 kit IMHO.

I would also recommend the Cellar Craft kits. I just bottled the Old Vines Zinfandel with the crushed grapes. Although it's still quite young, it is excellent.

Overall I consider the wine kit process to be a let down after so many brewing experiences - in a word, boring. But it does give you an overview of the process. I would probably want to do it from grapes next time.

I have seen this expressed many times by all-grain brewers. I think wine/mead is far simpler in general, although, like brewing, there are many nuances that you learn as you go.

+1 for these. And you do get what you pay. The more expensive kits contain more juice and that contributes to more complex wine.

bja - I was looking at that kit for a "primitivo" type wine. I am glad you liked it, even young. That will probably be my next kit, after I do my Strawberry Wine.

Back