Can anyone recommend a good Belgian wheat beer extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerivera

Reaction score
I was up in Maine recently and enjoyed Allagash White. Can anyone recommend a good Belgian wheat beer extract kit?

I'm looking for a nice wheat beer to brew for the summer.

:mug:

I'd recommend any of the kits from Austin Homebrew, Northern Brewer, or Midwest Supplies. They are all quality outfits. Beyond that, read the description, and see what suits your tastes. With wheat beers there are just so many options since they tend to lend themselves well to all kinds of fruit and spice additions.

Is the Austin Homebrew Belgian White Beer closer to a Blue Moon or more like the Allagash (which I think is lighter in color and a bit spicer than a Blue Moon)? Either way I like both.

Thanks for your replies.

That's good. I'm enjoying a blue moon right now. All this wheat beer thinking got me thirsty. Little more spice would suit me fine. Thanks.

I brewed the AHS Belgian Witbier extract kit, but haven't tasted it yet other than samples from the fermenter. I'm drinking my first one tonight after a week of bottle conditioning. Regarding color, mine is not very light, pretty orangey. It lightens up a bit with the yeast in suspension and with chill haze, but my guess is that it just isn't very light with LME. I had a New Belgium Mothership Wit recently and it has that pale straw off-white color.

A peculiar thing from my perspective is that hopping is extremely low if you follow the recommended 2.5 gallon boil, something like 5 or 6 IBUs. Witbiers are not supposed to be hoppy but BJCP guideline states 10 to 20 IBUs I think. I'm wondering if AHS changes the instructions to partial boil in the extract versions, but doesn't adjust the hopping accordingly. I'd have to hear from others who have boiled AHS extract kits to see if the hopping rates seemed on target, or if a full boil had better balance.

Back