Can anyone describe the tast of a GF beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I was considering making a GF beer for my mother in law. I endear her to me by calling her a "wheat-tard". She really hates this. Maybe if I made her a beer she would rejoice in my beermaking-joke-making ability.... But I need to be able to drink it myself too?

TIA,
Ryan

Sorghum-based beers tend to have a slightly sweet after-taste. I've had a few commercial ones and they all had it. I've also had a homebrew sorghum beer that was quite good. It was a Pale Ale on the high-side of the bittering scale.

I haven't heard much good about them. There was a big discussion about GF beers awhile back on the board. You might try searching for the original poster of that and see if he's figured out any good recipes.

I've only tried 2, Redbridge and New Grist. They both left a residual sweetness in your mouth, but when you can't have a regular beer- that is acceptable. I prefer Redbridge to New Grist any day...just my .02

Commercial wise I had Bards Tale Dragons Gold and it wasn't bad. Like a BMC, except a little more flavor (sweeter).

My recipe had some sweetness, dryness from the roasted grains, and bitterness. Very different beer but my sister really liked it.

Sorghum beers tend to have a citrus taste.

I don't know about anyone else, but no two six packs of Red Bridge have ever tasted the same to me.

Had a Redbridge - only way to drink it is to pretend you're in college and slam it down all at once. That way you only get the aftertase once. Actually had a 6-er of it. Still have one or two bottles around. Maybe david has a good point - if it was a highly hopped beer maybe it would be enjoyable.

-OCD

I had a 6-pack of Redbridge and didn't think it was all that bad. I did not sit down and analyze it too much. Just curious what sorghum beer would be like. Seems that a good homebrewer could produce a decent variation with enough effort.

I have tasted most GF beers on the market, and made a few myself. Out of them, the only one I would drink voluntarily was the Deschutes GF Pale Ale. Green makes a pretty good Amber and Tripel though. These are beers where you really can't tell they are sorghum at all. Redbridge would be my choice out of the big production ones.

As for homebrewing one, you are only limited by having basically one base malt, and only using dry yeast. (White labs is debatable) So long as you plan on having your base be a little sweeter, you should be able to make something drinkable.

Cheapest GF beer up my way is $17.95 for 6. I think if I couldn't handle regular beers I would definitely start brewing my own, much much much cheaper.

Ahhh man, let me tell you- I've been tasting some of my gluten free brews and thought I'd buy some New Grist to compare and WOW, IMO my beer is a whole lot better than this. New Grist has a pronounced sorghum flavor but it does retain its head nicely and it is crystal clear- not a bad commercial example, but your own can be better.

Just my .02

The sorghum base beers are a lot better than the alternatives. They do taste quite a bit sweeter than "normal" beers, but not in a bad way. I have had Frio, which is a pea based GF beer, and if that was the only option, I would like hard stuff a whole lot more. This stuff tasted like the water used to boil cabbage in. NOT GOOD.

I had a St. Peters Gluten Free at a trade show a while ago and thought it tasted more like beer than the others I have had. Just started seeing in on shelves (Missouri) a few weeks ago.

I had the Greene's double and it wasn't bad for what it was but to me it tasted almost more like rum and coke than beer.

I made up a batch for some family members who have Celiac. It has been in the bottle for several seeks now, and seems to improve every day. The recipe is simple - 6 lbs of sorghum extract, five ounces of hops and Safale 05 yeast.

The flavor and color are reminiscent of a white Belgian ale. As others have noted, it has a citrus taste that I am sure is emphasized by a very late addition of Amarillo hops but apparently is common to sorghum beers. The color is a nice pale yellow and as David noted, it is a bit cloudy, but over time the cloudiness is settling out. There is still that sweet aftertaste that others have noted. It is a VERY late aftertaste - a minute or two after you swallow, the taste appears.

All in all, it's not bad. From what I have heard from people who have tried commercial ones, mine, my first effort at GF, is way better than what you can buy. Brew some up, what do you have to lose? And I would try David's recipe, recently posted, with his plan for eliminating some of the residual sweetness.

I was just recently able to get my hands on Green's since no one else in my area seems to carry them. First off- I thought it was a beer from the UK, it is actually a product of Belgium. All their beers are bottle conditioned, if I knew how to harvest/ranch yeast, I'd do it with these. Moving along to the beer, I tried the Discovery Amber Ale last night. Much better than Redbridge and New Grist and very drinkable. But I could still detect the sorghum aftertaste which now has me wondering...do you get that if you use malted sorghum rather than sorghum extract?

Anyways, the head was there for the entire time and there was nice lacing on the glass. It was so drinkable, that I actually drank it really fast and my girlfriend who doesn't like beer had a few more sips than she normally would. I'd say over all this is a great Gluten-Free beer but at $8/bottle by me I'll stick to my homebrews for home consumption and save this for restaurants. Here are some pics.

Gluten_Free_006.JPG

I'll try the Dubble and post about that later

Gluten_Free_007.JPG

I know this isn't the best picture but I was so anxious to try it I just snapped a quick one and left it at that.

I wasn't thrilled with endeavour but found quest to be a pretty good beer, at least as far as gluten free goes.

Here's the Dubble
Gluten_Free_008.JPG

Guess I'm not used to this style, its super raisny sweet but so so drinkable. I think it patches a little punch too. As you can see in the picture the head is out of control I had to pour into another smaller glass. Either way, it was delicious.

My wife also like Green's .... but, as you have pointed out, the price is way too high for it to ever be anything more than an occasional "treat".

I have only had one Gluten Free beer and there is only one taste I remember from it, Copper. Being Gluten free is most likely not the reason for the copper taste however.

Just FYI - here is an email that I just sent to my sister and broether in law, about a G/F beer that I brewed up for them:

I have no idea if you've had any more since the party, but I have to say that I've really developed a liking for it. If it is still in the refrigerator, take it back out and let it sit in a relatively cool place. It will improve over time because of the active yeast, but in the refrigerator, the yeast will be inactive. I keep my beers near the kitchen window, but don't let them be exposed to light on a continuing basis (mine are boxed).

The changes that take place in home brewed beers are always remarkable. There is a saying among brewers that the best beer in any batch is always the last one, and the G/F beer is no exception. It has mellowed considerably, and the slightly bitter aftertaste that is characteristic of sorghum based beers has faded.

"Bottle conditioned" beers (all home brews and some expensive commercial beers) will always have some sediment. This one is no exception, so when you pour it, leave the last quarter inch or so in the bottle if you like a clearer beer. Drinking stirred up sediment will do no harm, but some people don't like the appearance. By the way, it's rich in vitamin B complex.

Enjoy - and there will be plenty here during the holidays - I will be happy to bring more over when you are entertaining.

This simple little G/F beer is becoming exceptionally good. 6.6 lbs of sorghum LME, four ounces of hops, honey primer and Safale 04 (or maybe 05 - I forget at the moemnt ahd don't have access to my records). I feel kind of bad that I am drinking it all up because I brewed it for my neice and nephew to enjoy. Starting now, I will switch to a pale ale and save the last G/F case for the holiday week when we will be having many family events.

It tastes good, and it provides good qualities to food and beverages.

The ingredients may include sorghum syrup, rice syrup, buckwheat, chest nuts and millet.

Have you ever had YooHoo? In the USA, it is a chocolate "drink". It is not chocolate milk, which is thick. YooHoo has a more watery quality to it which is how gluten free beers tasted to me at first.

Back