Can a Wine Cooler Cold Crash in Cool Ambient Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoudounBrew

Reaction score
I read through a bunch of threads on this topic, but I keep seeing different opinions, so I was hoping for the final definitive word (if that's possible) on the subject of wine coolers as a fermentation chamber.

Like a lot of people around here, I'm trying to balance the desire for good beer with keeping my wife happy - or, at least, not angry. :mug: I'd love to get a fermentation chamber with a temp controller to ensure proper fermentation temps. Right now, I use a Igloo cooler and that works pretty well, but the process requires a fair amount of attention. I'd like to just set my temps and forget about it.

I've considered getting a mini fridge, but that'd require chopping it up, something I'd rather not do and something the wife probably wouldn't go for. A regular sized fridge or freezer are too big for my work room in the basement. That leaves a wine cooler, which has the added benefit of being able to chill wine and thus make the wife happy.

However, I'd like the ability to cold crash my beer. Some people argue that wine coolers, especially thermoelectric ones, can reach those temps; others disagree. Part of the argument seems to center around ambient temps, as in wine coolers, especially thermoelectric ones, can't get down to the 30s or 40s in a hot room.

Well, my wine cooler would be in my basement, which maintains a fairly constant 68 degrees.

So my question is can any wine cooler - thermoelectric or compressor - cold crash in a 68 degree environment? Also, if thermoelectric wine coolers can handle cold crashing in my basement, is there any issue with hooking up a temperature controller to that type of cooling system or do they only work for compressors?

Thanks for any help,
LoudonBrew

I have a Nucool thermoelectric fridge,i can get it down 40-41 degrees in my 68-73 degree kitchen...Lagers are out.But as for cold crashing ales,I'm good to go.
Oh,and i use a Johnson controller,works perfectly.

SFSpencer,

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty much an ale guy, so losing the lagers isn't much of a price to pay for domestic tranquility.

Best,
LoudounBrew

I use one as a ferm fridge, compressor type though. I hit the temps to 45 on the control panel and crashes nicely. Wish it could go lower but its limited as per the factory settings.

Back