Can a extract can go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmee

Reaction score
A friend gave me a kit for weissbier which I understand is a golden color. The kit was about 3 yrs old ( I know I know) but I brewed it for him any way. The beer looks like a stout but smells like a wiess (the hops were crud, so I threw in some saaz). The whole thing fermented fine(dry yeast) and doesn't smell bad. What I want to know is is it drinkable or something I should put on the plants?

Hey! I'll be brewing some 6 year old extract next week. It's concentrated sugar. If the seal is ok and the can isn't bulging, it might be a little stale, but that's all (so I've been told by a local supplier). I plan on steeping some chocolate & roasted barley to freshen it, as well as new hops. Boiling for 60 minutes will kill just about anything.

Not too surprised it's darker though.

robmee said:
A friend gave me a kit for weissbier which I understand is a golden color. The kit was about 3 yrs old ( I know I know) but I brewed it for him any way. The beer looks like a stout but smells like a wiess (the hops were crud, so I threw in some saaz). The whole thing fermented fine(dry yeast) and doesn't smell bad. What I want to know is is it drinkable or something I should put on the plants?
If it fermented fine and doesn't smell bad, then what have you got to lose? Go ahead and bottle it, but drink it fairly quick...it may tend to stale quickly.

Latest posts

Back