Campden to kill infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denimglen

Reaction score
I've got a SNCA clone in the secondary at the moment.

I added the dry hops to it about a week and a half ago. All looked fine until I checked on it - last time I saw it was when dry hopping.

When I checked on it yesterday to see if the hops (pellets) had sunk yet I noticed the top of it was covered in this white film, it traps the bubbles as well and they sit on the top of the beer. I'm guessing it's mold. It smells fine, like C-hops.

Reckon I could throw some campden tablet in to kill it off, then keg to carbonate?

Cheers.

Should work, although my guess is it isn't infected. Most beer infections smell terrible.

i too doubt its an infection. taste it. if it tastes fine, its not infected.

my guess is the dry hopping is altering the surface tension, causing the CO2 to form a foam instead of popping when it hits the surface.

Regardless, the Common white mold found on beer rarely influences the taste of the beer... so at most its a Visual detraction of the drink.

by the time that you realize your beer is infected it is usually far too late to use campden - the nasties have done their job to mess up your beer. there isn't much you can do to reverse what they've done.

sounds to me like a dry hop phenomenon. i had the same thing with my last IPA and it turned out fine.

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just syphon from under it and keg it. Worst comes to worst it's a tipper.

malkore said:
my guess is the dry hopping is altering the surface tension, causing the CO2 to form a foam instead of popping when it hits the surface.

Maybe, but there's a white kinda film that's trapping the bubbles, not a foam, the bubbles are quite big - about an inch diameter in the largest examples.

Oh well, wish me luck! Haha.

I have this every time I dry hop. I do think it's a mold of sort, but have never had the beer taste bad.

Back