Campden tablets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee Friend

Reaction score
I have crushed grapes and added yeast at day 4. Can I add campden tablets now or will it kill the yeast? When should I add the crushed campden tablets? Thank you

You've missed the first addition, but you can add campden tablets at every second racking and at bottling. I add potassium metabisulphite (which is basically the same thing) initially and at every second racking.

The first racking is after about a month in the carboy, then subsequent rackings are about every two months. I skip sulphite at the first one and add it at the second one, but you could probably add it at the first racking, then the third one, etc.

You've missed the first addition, but you can add campden tablets at every second racking and at bottling. I add potassium metabisulphite (which is basically the same thing) initially and at every second racking.

The first racking is after about a month in the carboy, then subsequent rackings are about every two months. I skip sulphite at the first one and add it at the second one, but you could probably add it at the first racking, then the third one, etc.
Thank you for your help all the way from Vancouver, how marvellous I'm in Kent, South London UK

Thank you for your help all the way from Vancouver, how marvellous I'm in Kent, South London UK
Hope you figured out what to do about the campden - seems we've given you three different opinions! Yes people are all from over the world on this forum. I grew up in the north of England myself. Hence the user name.

Unless you plan to do MLF, you can add your sulfites at the end of fermentation since there is no benefit to waiting and you only risk oxidation/spoilage without sufficient sulfites.

Back