Campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
How long after putting a crushed campden tablet it to my wine should I wait before drinking any ??

I have put two tablets in to stabilize the wine as directed but it does not say when it's drinkable any help please ?

Not sure, but we wait 24hours after adding it before adding the yeast. I would wait at least the 24h before drinking it. If it is not open to the air to allow it to disapate I assume it stayes in the wine for a long time. If you are not allergic to sulfa go ahead and drink up! At this point I assume it is being used as a perservative, so it should be safe to drink. I have only used it at the start of wine making. I have not used any after that point. Lots of recipies call for it so someone else here should have followed at least one to the letter and can answer you more accuatly. Good luck!

You normally don't sulfite the wine and then drink it. You sulfite as a preservative, like before bottling.

It does dissipate with a little time, and you can drink it right away if you want to. It won't hurt you but it doesn't taste very good.

Campden doesn't "stabilize" the wine. It's simply an antioxidant and preservative.

It says on the tub of mine that two tablets per gallon to fully stabilize it.

It says on the tub of mine that two tablets per gallon to fully stabilize it.

Yell, then it won't be drinkable for quite a while. You want 50 ppm of sulfite, so that is one tablet per gallon for most brands. That dosage is double the usual amount added.

It still isn't a "stabilizer" though. I wouldn't sweeten it or anything like that without adding sorbate.

Latest posts

Back