Campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizzaisgood

Reaction score
Question about adding campden. Last month on the 20th I added the directed amount of camped tablets (1 per gallon, so I added five). Well it is now clear and ready to bottle do I need to add more campden before bottling or will it be ok. Also no way of testing the sulfite level. Thanks in advance.

Question about adding campden. Last month on the 20th I added the directed amount of camped tablets (1 per gallon, so I added five). Well it is now clear and ready to bottle do I need to add more campden before bottling or will it be ok. Also no way of testing the sulfite level. Thanks in advance.

I generally "guestimate" the sulfite level by using 1 campden tablet per gallon at every other racking and at bottling.

If that's the first time you added sulfites, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use some more when you bottle, assuming you're planning on aging the wine for a while. If you're planning on drinking the wine within 6-8 months or so, I wouldn't bother.

Back