Campden tablets effectiveness on cold cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguy

Reaction score
I am going to be bottling my Cider in the next few days. My plan is to sweeten the cider with some of the extra cider I saved. The extra cider has been frozen since September and recently thawed in the refeigerator. Last night I added campden tablets to the actual "Hard Cider" to stabilize, and then to the thawed cider in the refeigerator. After adding the campden tablets to the cider I will be sweetening with, I put it back in the refeigerator. Afterwards I wonderred if the campden tablets are just as effective in the refeigerator? Also since I am going to be sweetening with more apple cider do you think stabilizing with only campden tablets is ok? Thanks in advance...

Campden doesn't kill wine yeast, so you may have some refermentation starting. To stabilize, I use a small amount of sorbate along with campden and that works.

I know that other cider makers cold crash effectively, but I wouldn't trust the method you used to kill the yeast. I suspect you'll have some bottle bombs.

Campden doesn't kill wine yeast, so you may have some refermentation starting. To stabilize, I use a small amount of sorbate along with campden and that works.

I know that other cider makers cold crash effectively, but I wouldn't trust the method you used to kill the yeast. I suspect you'll have some bottle bombs.

Thanks for the advice. I added 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate /gallon right after your post. I think it was about 12 hours after I added the campden tablets. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Back