Campden Tablets confused now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Ok I always assumed campden tablets where K - meta in tablet form. Went to my homebrew shop today and the guy there told me there sodium metabisulphate. Said they don't work the same. One is salt based one is potassium based. Is there really a difference. I bought the tablets as my recipe specifically calls for campden tablets and he got me worried K meta is not the same as campden. I like the idea of using powder (potassium meta as mines labeled) better as its easier to dissolve. I'm assuming by what this guy told me the campden tablets I bought are sodium based not potassium. From searches on the net he maybe correct but what's everyone's opinion on here.

Your homebrew shop guy is a confused. Sulfite exists as a salt with either potassium or sodium, e.g. potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite. It's still sulfite and doesn't make a difference provided you adjust for the approximate difference in molar mass.

Your homebrew shop guy is a confused. Sulfite exists as a salt with either potassium or sodium, e.g. potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite. It's still sulfite and doesn't make a difference provided you adjust for the approximate difference in molar mass.

That does make perfect sense. So both can be used the same way just with different masses used which is exactly how it is on the pack. I think the K meta says 1/2tsp is equal to 10 campden tablets if I can remember that correct off the top of my head. 10 campden tablets is a hell of a lot more powder then a 1/2 tsp.

It is hard to measure the small amounts used in home winemaking which is why people use campden tablets. One way to measure is to make a stock solution say 100 grams dissolved in 1 litre of water. That way if you need 1 gram you can measure 10ml which is a lot easier than weighing 1 gram. It is also easier to use metric measures when making wine because 1 gram in 10 litres = 50ppm so2.

I like less additives in my wine, so I use K-Meta directly. No Tablets. Just get a 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 tsp set. Online for like $3. Boom, done.

It is hard to measure the small amounts used in home winemaking which is why people use campden tablets. One way to measure is to make a stock solution say 100 grams dissolved in 1 litre of water. That way if you need 1 gram you can measure 10ml which is a lot easier than weighing 1 gram. It is also easier to use metric measures when making wine because 1 gram in 10 litres = 50ppm so2.

Im a hunter so have a scale for weighing out powder for reloading bullets. Its accurate to +/- 0.1g so this will work perfect for weighing out per gram of K-Meta. I was just really thrown off by the homebrew shop guy telling me they were completely different and should be used at different times. He ended up getting me to purchase something ill never use and cant return so guess he did a good job. Good thing it was only $1.99. Should have trusted my gut that I knew it was the same.

Back