Campden tablet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards81

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used campden tablets in cider if so when and how many were usedvfor a 5gallon batch?

Come on now, this isn't that kind of forum. From the rules:

13. No use of "Google it", or "Try Searching". If a question has been answered before, answer it again or with nicety provide a link rather than copying/pasting content from elsewhere on the forum. Berating or poking fun at "noobs" for not searching will not be allowed.

Typically, campden tablets aren't necessary for cider. If you are using jugs of cider, you are probably fine anyway. Most ciders/apple juice is either UV or heat pasteurized already. I would only use it if I were pressing my own apples.

I use sulfites in all my ciders. Both before pitching the yeast to suppress any microbes and before bottling to help keep it stable and un-oxidised while aging. I typically add one tab per gallon for a target of 50 ppm.

Come on now, this isn't that kind of forum.

wow! fine print well studied. you are right of course and i retract my snarkiness. there is, despite the sarcasm, a heap of information on this topic easily found online.
myself, i use potassium metabisulfite (K-meta) powder, which is what campden tablets are made from, i aim for 100 ppm free sulfites (SO2) in the freshly pressed juice. for me that comes out to 181 mg K-meta per liter of juice. wait 24 hours and then pitch yeast.

Back