Campden tablet in the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckthebutcher

Reaction score
So I have been mashed in now for about 40 minutes and just realized that I forgot to add my cambden tablet to remove the chlorine from my tap water. If I add it to the mash and stir it in will it have the same effect?

P.S. I already did it i guess I just want to know if I should stress or not. And don't worry I'm already drinking a homebrew.

So I have been mashed in now for about 40 minutes and just realized that I forgot to add my cambden tablet to remove the chlorine from my tap water. If I add it to the mash and stir it in will it have the same effect?

P.S. I already did it i guess I just want to know if I should stress or not. And don't worry I'm already drinking a homebrew.

Unfortunately, the reaction between the chlorine and the grain takes place at the beginning, so adding the campden into the mash will not have the intended effect. It has to be done to the water, before the mash, to cause the chemical reaction to get rid of chlorine/chloramines before the grain is added.

Campden is for neutralizing chlorine/chloramine. I believe that since those molecules don't affect the mash too much, you should be fine as long as you add before pitching yeast

So am I screwed? It doesn't taste like chlorine now, will it show up later? Thanks for the help

Its not ideal, but back in the day i made plenty of batches without campaden before i knew better, even when i lived in new jersey (with chloramines) and the water was not great. In my experience, any off flavor that happens isnt so tragic.

Back