Campden/sorbate use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymn

Reaction score
I added the campden/sorbate about 2 weeks ago, and now i'm ready to sweeten up a little. The cider is in a corny right now, and I wonder if I need to rack it over into another keg before adding the Apple concentrate?

The cider is already cloudy, since I forgot to add the pectinase at the beginning, so if the only benefit is clarity, i'd rather skip the trouble.

Thanks,

Matt

Assuming the campden/sorbate has killed your yeast off you'll have some sediment from the dead yeast cells. Some people don't mind drinking this but personally I find it leads to unpleasant tastes so I'd rack it off and then back sweeten it.

I hope youre wanting a still cider. The sorbate you added wont allow carbonation

fatboy570 said:
I hope youre wanting a still cider. The sorbate you added wont allow carbonation

Only if he wants to prime and bottle. Force carbonation in a keg is still possible.

John

Back