Camp Chef 2 burner stove High/Low burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBbrewer

Reaction score
I know talking about btu's has been done on this forum over and over again, but I have a specific question. After reading a lot of the previous forums about btu's I have come to this conclusion, and want to know what y'all think. This burner combo comes with a 30,000 btu, and a 60,000 btu burner. I brew at the most 7gal to finish with 5gal batches. I was think the 30,000 btu burner would be good for the hot water tank because I don't have to get it to a boiling temp, and the 60,000 btu would be good for the boil. What do y'all think?

For 5.5 gallon final volume batches on my single 60k btu Camp Chef burner, I have to set the gas as low as possible to avoid boil over. So the 30k btu burner should be fine for maintaining boils as well as for heating sparge liquor or direct firing a mash tun. The time to boil will be slower if you used the 30k btu burner for boils, but I can't use my 60k btu burner at full blast without risking the thermometer and valve handle on my boil kettle anyway.

I would use the high BTU burner for the activity that has the highest temperature raise requirement. If you're doing a HLT, I am presuming you're doing all grain. Use the 60k to bring the water from room temp to 160-170, the 30k to bring it from 170 to 212.

I know talking about btu's has been done on this forum over and over again, but I have a specific question. After reading a lot of the previous forums about btu's I have come to this conclusion, and want to know what y'all think. This burner combo comes with a 30,000 btu, and a 60,000 btu burner. I brew at the most 7gal to finish with 5gal batches. I was think the 30,000 btu burner would be good for the hot water tank because I don't have to get it to a boiling temp, and the 60,000 btu would be good for the boil. What do y'all think?

As I was reading your paragraph, I was thinking exactly as you are. I would use the 60 K BTU burner for the boil and the 30 K BTU burner for the HLT.

Mark

Back