Camlocks on Standard Convolutus Counterflow Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferm.adventures

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts on how I jerry rigged some camlocks on a standard morebeer counterflow chiller. I was planning on soldering on some 1/2" MPT fittings for male camlocks, and maybe a thermometer, as fittings as all my hoses currently have female camlocks.

Well, since I've been reading about it, it seems like the wort copper piping is not a standard fitting size and since the one I purchased was used and had the pipes somewhat malformed, I figured it would be a hassle.

Then, today when I was looking at my spare fittings I came up with the approach in the attached image. Basically a few inches of silicone hose with a male camlock hose barb and some hose clamps. I had all the parts in house so it saved a trip to get some copper fittings.

Any thoughts on this? I think I will stick with this awhile to see how it goes. I'm worried that the copper pipe edge may shear off the silicone hose at an in opportune time. Regardless, it certainly doesn't leak!

IMG_0680.jpg

I soldered on a fitting to mine. I screwed a long pipe into a 1/2 npt to solder copper fitting, had a friend hold it level, and sweated on the fitting. You can do it.

I have seen others do what you did, should be fine

Yeah, I was just on his site and saw that he had fair priced stainless compression fitting that may work. I think it should be fine as is, but knowing I'll be running boiling wort thru it, and having vinyl hoses fly off immersion chillers in the past with house clamps, I'll be nervous until I get something metal on it!

compression fitting would do wonders for this type of goal....I bought a CFC from CL and it had a compression fitting on it!

I did a write on how to put standard fittings on these things a while back.
The trick is to solder on a piece of standard 1/2" copper pipe as filler then use standard copper pipe to 1/2" NPT and add your Cam lock.

My basic setup is the same but I have switched out hose barbs for cam locks.

Hope this helps.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=293990

Back