camlock or Triclamp for CIP pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hi all, i was looking for a pump fpr CIP and a friend from a local brewery told me they had been using a pearl pump with stainless steel head for years and never had a problem, so i went the same direction, but this pump has a female 1" NPT threads, so my question basically its, would it be overkill to use triclamps for this? since its only for cleaning(CIP) and running sanitizer and rinse water, or the regular cam locks would be fine?

I have TC fittings on everything (now/finally). Even the pump I setup for CIP (sump pump). You can get the 1" NPT to 1-1/2" TC fittings from places like Brewers Hardware (where I got mine).
Looks like you need one (or two) of these:
https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5-Tri-Clover-X-1-Male-NPT.html?category_id=270
I've changed over to using my Chugger pump for CIP though (also TC head, each has a manifold setup to make them easier to use/direct the flows).

I have TC fittings on everything (now/finally). Even the pump I setup for CIP (sump pump). You can get the 1" NPT to 1-1/2" TC fittings from places like Brewers Hardware (where I got mine).
Looks like you need one (or two) of these:
https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5-Tri-Clover-X-1-Male-NPT.html?category_id=270
I've changed over to using my Chugger pump for CIP though (also TC head, each has a manifold setup to make them easier to use/direct the flows).
Purely a matter of choice. I started out with Blichmann threaded disconnects (proved to be a pain), switched to 1.5" TCs (since I had the parts lying around), finally settled on cam locks, which I prefer on my March pump. They all do the job just fine, but I found the cam locks to be the least hassle. YMMV.

I went from ball locks, to cam locks, back to ball locks since I had major issues getting the cam locks to actually be secured, to TC connections. Feel a LOT more confident in the TC connections than either ball lock or cam locks.

I went from ball locks, to cam locks, back to ball locks since I had major issues getting the cam locks to actually be secured, to TC connections. Feel a LOT more confident in the TC connections than either ball lock or cam locks.
I think they're both very secure, but settled on camlocks since I can easily operate them with one hand without having to manipulate a gasket and TC clamp. TCs, when clamped, are probably more secure, but I've never had a camlock come loose or leak, even under pressure.

I created manifolds for both of my pumps (TC heads) and added a T fitting to the HERMS coil inlet. That way I just open valves on brew day and don't need to change any connections. Makes for less mess (if I remember to open the valves correctly) than before.

thank you for your replies, BH doesnt have in stock TC but i just ordered from other page(cheaper too), i guess i will have to build a good manifold since i clean my kegs (sankes and cornys) with a cip ball

Back