Calling any experienced Baltic Porter brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipadelphia

Reaction score
Good day all, I want to dive into trying a Baltic Porter for the fall. I haven't made one before and it sounds really interesting.

I have the WY2112 ready to rock and just need to put a recipe together.

My thoughts were:

8lbs Maris Otter
4lbs Munich
3lbs Vienna
3/4lb C120
1/2lb chocolate malt
1/2lb black patent (I saw this listed on a recipe I found, does this fit the style?)

Perle/Northern Brewer

Any experienced Baltic Porter brewers care to chime in? Thanks!

There are a couple ways to approach the style in my opinion. One is to look at the BJCP guidelines and try some commercial examples, then color between the lines. It is a great beer as described by BJCP. That route will lead you to something incredibly malty, some dried fruit character, and roasty but not burnt notes. This approach is also typically a lager, although you can ferment on the colder end of a clean ale yeast. The other way, which is my approach when making my "baltic" porter, is to boost alcohol, body, and complexity of my favorite robust porter recipe. There are some similarities, but mine wouldn't qualify entirely as a Baltic in competition. I use a large amount of Munich malt - but 2-row pale as a base, lots chocolate, a tad of black patent, some special B, and of course some toasted malt(s). Mine has more chocolate and toasty character than a more stylistically accurate example, but it all comes down to preference.

As for your proposed recipe, I assume this is for 5-6 gallon batch and you're shooting for the Baltic Porter as described by BJCP. If that were the case, I do have a few recommendations. First, yes, black patent malt is certainly acceptable to style for Baltic Porters, but I'd recommend pulling your amount back a little to maybe .125 - .25 lbs per 5 gal. Second, consider using Vienna as a base with Munich to supplement. The c-120 looks a tad high to me, but I don't think it's out of style. Third, you might also consider adding some amber, brown, biscuit, or special roast, but it's not entirely necessary. Your hop selection is fine, just keep your IBUs between 20-40, but keep aroma hops to a minimum - if any.

It should be pilsner malt, not maris otter. And Id up the munich depending on the lovibond rating of the munich you plan on using. But id do at least 40% munich type malts.

The black patent really isnt to style, and I think would make the beer a little harsh. Carafa (I, II, III depending to hit target color) debittered would be better, or one of the briess low bitterness black malts (blackprinz or midnight wheat, could work as well)

It should be pilsner malt, not maris otter. And Id up the munich depending on the lovibond rating of the munich you plan on using. But id do at least 40% munich type malts.

Agreed, if you are not using Munich or Vienna as a base, it should be Pils, not M.O. A Vienna base with Munich and/or Pils to supplement would be fine, too.

The black patent really isnt to style, and I think would make the beer a little harsh. Carafa (I, II, III depending to hit target color) debittered would be better, or one of the briess low bitterness black malts (blackprinz or midnight wheat, could work as well)

If using black malt, keep the quantity low, like I said. Otherwise, I agree with the above - if using higher amounts, use debittered roasted malts such as carafa II or III.

Thanks all, that's really helpful. Yeah it's for 5 gallons. I'll post a revised recipe when I get home tonight and input into BeerSmith!

I recently (as in 6 months ago) made a baltic porter with the following grain bill, and it came out quite lovely:

8lb Munich (Avangard)
4lb MO (Crisp)
4lb Pils (Avangard)
8oz Caramunich
8oz Special B
4oz Chocolate
2oz Black Patent
2oz Midnight Wheat

I like to think of a baltic porter as either an Imperial Schwarzbier, or a slightly-roasty Doppelbock. I used Munich as the majority of the base malt, and the MO and Pils to add additional complexity. If I rebrew this recipe I may back down a touch on the Caramunich and Special B, as it came out just a touch on the sweet side.

Flaked rye is also a nice addition. As is brown sugar to bump up the gravity.

+1. The lager version of this (which is probably more "correct") would be very different, and IMHO far better. That means pilsner malt and Carafa, not Marris Otter and Black Patent. I've made a lager version several times, although I use some smoked malt and call it rauchbier, although it's otherwise a Baltic Porter.

BTW, this is not a 6-ingredient beer. Easily fits into the 3-grain-only philosophy. Unless you're an expert brewer, simpler grain bills help you learn ingredients, which complicated bills simply cannot do. (1) base malt, (2) something dark, and (3) something sweet/mouthfeel.

Back