Calling All Lagerheads:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Any of us who love craft beer enough to spend countless hours brewing and slaving over fermenters knows that our "flavor of the week" invariably changes over time. I've been locked into German lagers for a while now and im curious: how many of you are in to lagers? How many of you prefer them over ale and what are you currently drinking? How many of you brew lagers and pride yourself in the skill necessary to master these styles? Lets make this an open forum on lagers. Any takers? I've personally been locked in on brewing lagers as much ad I am drinking them. I currently have a recipe for a wildflower honey, honey malt, Munich Helles as well as and IPL recipe that blends American-esque hops with the more traditional euro pilsner.

I love lagers. Maibock is my favorite style. Don't get me wrong I love a good ale too and brew about 60% ale and 40% lager (lager just takes longer ferment wise limiting production). Glad to hear you love lagers as well. A buddy of mine was over at my place who homebrews as well. He stated he doesn't like lagers period and he really doesn't. He says he doesn't like the bite of a lager, good thing for me because it means less homebrew sharing with him haha!

Love me some german lagers. I recently finished a keg of Helles and a pilsner. Have an oktoberfest in the keg lagering. Have a Bo-pils that I will keg this weekend. Will be brewing a bo-pils this weekend as well. Probabaly a Dortmunder up next after that.
I would guess about 1/3 of my beers are german lagers.

First lagers were my 2011 O'fest and 2012 O'fest.

This year, I've brewed a Vienna Rye Cali lager (hopped with Northern Brewer), my 2013 O'fest, and I've got a Schwarzbier in the fermenter.

I enjoy a lot of different beers, but I don't know if lagers will ever regularly exceed 20% of my brew schedule for a year.

Kicked a keg of German pilsner last night. Got better as the keg got lighter and the last few pints were amazing.

I brew about 50/50 ales and lagers, brewing a pale ale Monday just to keep something in the pipeline, and an Oktoberfest in 2 weeks. Try to lager for at least 2 months at 2C, then on the gas for a couple more weeks.

Got Brewing Classic Styles a few weeks ago, so going to try pitching cold with a huge (ish) starter. I've been pitching war, before, so hope this will make things even better.

Want to brew a Dutch style lager for my wife and the super hoppy (relatively) pilsner from BCS too

Probably 70% of my brews are true lagers, and then 15% are lagered ales (Koslch and Alt). Only 15% are classic ales.

House beer is a corn adjunct, 5% ABV lager, with 20 IBUs. Almost always on tap (out of 4 taps)

I'm so much more impressed with a homebrewed lager than I am with a homebrewed ale. It seems so many get into the hobby to brew IPA's and all those hops mask the overall quality of the beer. To brew a very good lager separates the the men from the boys in my honest opinion.

Probably 70% of my brews are true lagers, and then 15% are lagered ales (Koslch and Alt). Only 15% are classic ales.

House beer is a corn adjunct, 5% ABV lager, with 20 IBUs. Almost always on tap (out of 4 taps)

While mrtuba makes kick ass lagers, and I enjoyed his- I"m almost the exact opposite! I make a few lagers, perhaps 15% classic lagers, with the vast majority of my brewing made up of hoppy American styles.

I love all beer, but my affinity for IPAs and APAs is where my brewing leads me.

When I do make lagers, I make German "special" lagers like Maibock and Oktoberfest. Occasionally, I make a CAP, or BoPils or German pilsner. I bet I make two lagers per year most years now.

It's pretty simple to set up one of those poll things if you are interested in collecting data on how many brew what.

Dump a can of extract into a pot with a couple of gallons of hot water in it, throw in some hops in a jelly bag and leave them for a while, put the pot in a bathtub of cold water for an hour or two, pour the result into a carboy or bucket and add a packet of dry yeast and you have made an ale. Everything needed, equipment and raw materials, can be had inexpensively in a single trip to your home brew shop. Little wonder then that most people start out brewing ales and stick with it. Moving up to lagers requires an investment in lengthened brew day (decoction mashing, log boils), equipment (multiple kettles, conical fermenter or at least a spare refrigerator or freezer, pH meter, narrow range hydrometers...), knowledge (water chemistry...), lagering tank, lagering refrigeration (cold room, spare freezer) and time (the lagering period). Little wonder that few move on to lagers but as has been hinted at in the other posts here, those that do generally come to appreciate the rewards that come from their extra efforts and capital investment. The history of lager beer from the time of its inception makes it pretty clear that lager beers are preferred by most drinkers and, to be honest, it seems to me that the arguments that ales are better than lagers are like the arguments that PC's are better than Macs i.e. more religious conviction on the part of proponents than rational assessment.

Having said that I expect that no one will be surprised that my brewing closely resembles pjj2ba's (except that I don't do Alt).

I do 60 gallons out of my 200 Maibocks, Vienna, O-fest, and something random. Only have room for 15 gallons in the lagering fridge. I can't wait all the time. I feed 12 taps host a lot of brew days so keeping 12 taps stocked (2 are Nitro) would be next to impossible. I do love the variety offered by the many styles available.

What I'd really love to see are the recipes that some of you Lagerheads have come up with always looking for something new (to me)

I make O'fest with 1/3 each Pilsner, Vienna and Munich I. If you are using slightly different proportions I rather doubt that changing your recipe to match mine will make much difference. Put another way, IMO recipe is not so important and process and equipment and, of course, yeast strain and hops variety selection. I exclusively use noble hops and prepare water appropriately for those hops. If you use high alpha hops and brew with water high in sulfate you would see a profound change in your beers if you switched to noble hops and got rid of the sulfate. This is not to say that you can take an entirely free hand with the malts, especially in beers like Bocks where the rich malt flavors from the colored malts define the beers. But I do feel that process and equipment are the most important factors in producing good lager. Things like
1. Controlling mash pH
2. Low mineral content water (unless doing Export and similar beers)
3. Low to 0 sulfate if using noble hops
4. Protein rest (this one should kick up some controversy(
5. Proper saccharification temp.
6. Use of decoction mashing
7. Number and timing of hops additions
8. Cooling practices
9. Fermentation temperature control
10. Pitiching of a sufficient amount of yeast
11. Proper oxygenation
12. Proper fermentation program (not, in general, diacetyl rest based programs)
13. Proper lagering
14. Proper packaging and storage (overlaps with 13.(

These are the things that come to mind.

I have my first two lagers going at the moment, a German Pils and a dunkel. I generally prefer hoppy ales, but I wanted to try my hand at something new and see how it goes.

German lagers are my favorite style. Although due to space and general lazyness I find my self only brewing them about 25% of the time. I brew alot of light ales with neutral yeast inorder to churn out lager like beers quick.
Last year though I started taking it alot more serious and paying very close detail to my lagers and temperature involved as well as amount of yeast I pitch and I think it helped alot. Im going to try to do two 5 gallons bathes in a couple of weeks.
My favorites are munich helles and Oktoberfest!

I pretty much only brew German style beers. The only ale I make is a Kolsch. I usually make blondes, Amber's and a dark's. Love'em.

So, in the vein of this thread, what are your favorite lager recipes? I think the op wouldn't mind is sharing in here.

I currently brew more ales than lagers, but do absolutely love them. I have tried my hand at a BoPils, Marzen, Helles and IPL. The satisfaction seems deeper due to the labor of love that is required to achieve a great lager. Soon I will plan a Bock or Maibock that will be followed by a Dopplebock on the previous batch's cake. Can't wait!

Only one lager so far, a Maibock. It's probably the best beer, overall, that I've made.

Vellum said:
So, in the vein of this thread, what are your favorite lager recipes? I think the op wouldn't mind is sharing in here.

Ill dig mine out of beer smith and gladly share!

Lagers are making up more and more of what I brew all the time. Since getting a pure O2 aeration system, I'm more comfortable brewing lagers. I've brewed a few this year and they've turned out well. Lagers in previous years were okay, but left room for improvement. German beer is my favorite so I want to get the sh*t down!
I used to brew a lot of IPA and hoppy beers, but I'm getting more away from that as time goes by. But I like oatmeal stouts, porters, hefes, German lagers these days. IPAs not so much anymore.

I've been pounding my Doppelbock and Dunkel Doppelbock since they finished, and am in love. On the list- Budvar, Rauchbier, Maibock, Pils, Dunkel...too many.

My house lager is called "Stinger." It's a Munich Helles base to which I add a tiny bit of honey malt and actual wildflower honey to. Here is the recipe:

Draconian Libations': Stinger

6.5 gallon batch
78% efficiency

80.3% - Weyermann Pils
08.9% - Wildflower Honey
06.7% - Weyermann Munich Type II
02.2% - Weyermann CaraFoam
01.7% - Gambrinus Honey Malt
00.2% - Weyermann Dehusked Carafa I

23 IBU of Magnum @ 60 mins
02 IBU of Tettnanger @ 15 mins
.25 oz Tettnanger after flameout -temp under 160

WLP833 - German Bock Lager

Mash at 154
Add honey to primary a day after fermentation begins

Primary at 50F for 3 weeks, decrease temp 3 degrees per day for 4 days until 38F is reached. Lager for 3 weeks. Keg/Bottle and enjoy.

Back