Calling all English IPA Brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzak09

Reaction score
Yes, Yes I've searched the archives...
Im looking for some input on an English IPA hop schedule. I haven't brewed with these and to my knowledge do not know their flavor profiles, however I have 4 oz of fuggles and 4 oz of northern brewer in my freezer. I just need a solid hop schedule to make a killer english IPA. I am willing to go out and purchase different hops... SO, skies the limit...

Well, English IPAs aren't normally hopped to the killer level. Try this:

0.75 oz NB @ 60
1/2 oz Fuggles @ 20
ditto @ 5
ditto dry hop

I used EKG for bittering in the last batch, but NB will work.

thanks david... By killer I meant just really good, not super hoppy. any other good english variety hops that would pair well with these two?

Target, for bittering, and EKG or WGV for late additions, in addition to those in the above post. Willamette is a good US hop with British characteristics. I don't think I'd prefer it to the above listed, but it's cheap and easy to find.

To pair with Fuggles, I prefer Target, Challenger, and EKG. That's just me, though.

Only a half-ounce at 20 and 5? You can do a lot more without going overboard, unless you're going for the OG 1.040 type modern English IPA (which can be as low as 24 IBUs: the Brits don't generally care for style guidelines, or, rather, the BJCP style guidelines don't correspond with reality). Keep in mind that English hops in general aren't nearly as pungent as the American hops are, so 30 grams @ 15 & 0 won't be overpowering. (And also that there are plenty of great English hops that aren't Goldings or Fuggle.)

My usual hopping for, say, Goldings would be around 2oz for 60 mins, 1 oz for 10mins and 1oz dry hop. That bittering addition can be tweaked if you go for higher alpha hops to keep it roughly in line in the usual way. This kind of hopping has got me some decent beers recently. Not too extreme, just nice and flavoursome.

I think you can go 15 and 5 minutes (or 20 and 5 or 20 and 10) with a fair dose of hops and still have it be very British. Bitter with challenger or target, and then hit it with EKG and/or fuggles (or styrian golding) in the late additions. Then dry hop. I'd just avoid hop additions under 5 minutes, and use good quality MO, not much crystal (and british crystal if you use it) and maybe a bit of amber or biscuit.

With just what you have, I'd go with NB for bittering and a 15 and 5 addition of fuggles, saving an ounce for dry hop. Shoot for 40-50 IBUs depending on how much alcohol. Or FWH hop with some fuggles too. Not sure its traditional but it can be good.

There's a pretty good EIPA recipe in radical brewing.

I think you can go 15 and 5 minutes (or 20 and 5 or 20 and 10) with a fair dose of hops and still have it be very British. Bitter with challenger or target, and then hit it with EKG and/or fuggles (or styrian golding) in the late additions. Then dry hop. I'd just avoid hop additions under 5 minutes, and use good quality MO, not much crystal (and british crystal if you use it) and maybe a bit of amber or biscuit.

With just what you have, I'd go with NB for bittering and a 15 and 5 addition of fuggles, saving an ounce for dry hop. Shoot for 40-50 IBUs depending on how much alcohol. Or FWH hop with some fuggles too. Not sure its traditional but it can be good.

There's a pretty good EIPA recipe in radical brewing.

This is very similar to what I would suggest except for the hop schedule.

MO base with a small amount of a light british crystal like carastan (0.5 lbs) and a small amount of british amber malt (0.25 lbs). You could also throw in some torrified wheat for head retention and it would be keeping with tradition.

I'd aim for an OG around 1.058-1.060 and bitter to about 45 IBU.

NB for bittering@ 90 min.

20-30 g Fuggles at 15

and about 40-50 g Fuggles at flameout

You can also dry hop with 20-30 g Fuggles if you want.

Be sure to ferment with a good liquid british ale yeast.

And that will make an excellent English IPA. In fact, I'll be brewing one just like I described in a few weeks. I'm glad others are interested in this under appreciated style.

I've combined Willamette and Glacier with good effect. English IPAs are fantastic!

Also, how long are you guys aging your English IPAs for? I've seen that mine take 4-5 weeks longer than my American Pale Ales to mellow out.

Here's my favorite English IPA hop Schedule:

2 Oz Fuggles 60 min
1 Oz Fuggles 30 min
1 Oz Willamette 10 min
1 Oz Willamette 2 min
1 Oz EKG dry hop for 12 days in secondary, then bottle

Back