Calling all beer snobs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dash14251

Reaction score
ok what are some examples of sissy-beers and good respectable man-beers?

these can be specific brands and/or general categories like wheat beer.

im not talkin about random weird beer that you can only buy in winslow, arizona. im talkin about out of all the regular beers you can get at any average wal-mart which ones do you consider sissy, chick-beers and which ones do "beer people" like all of you (and me maybe) see as a good respectable beer?

I don't know about Wal-mart, try not to ever shop there if I can help it.. But Meijer sells Storm King Victory stout and I would consider that a man beer.

yikes dude. People who drink good beer don't buy it at walmart.

In some areas they do, dammit!

Here, my Wal Mart stocks Sam Adams (especially the Cream Stout, delish!) Black Dog, Breckenridge, Odell's, Red Hook, SNPA, Red Bridge (gluten free, for the silly yaks out there), all of the Michelob "craft beers," and even Erdinger.

If that lineup doesn't impress you, you obviously don't live in South Dakota. :mad:

Here, my Wal Mart stocks Sam Adams (especially the Cream Stout, delish!) Black Dog, Breckenridge, Odell's, Red Hook, SNPA, Red Bridge (gluten free, for the silly yaks out there), all of the Michelob "craft beers," and even Erdinger.

If that lineup doesn't impress you, you obviously don't live in South Dakota. :mad:

great post, thats what im talkin about. i knew i would get the average smart-ass posts like the first few, but didnt expect a real answer this quick! thanks.

and im assuming you mean they are the good ones, not girlie-beers:D

great post, thats what im talkin about. i knew i would get the average smart-ass posts like the first few, but didnt expect a real answer this quick! thanks.

Well, the Michelob brews tend to be girly (IE: Shock Top) but the Porter is quite good IMO.

I just realied that Samuel Smith is available here as well, although we only have the Oatmeal Stout and the Nut Brown (each of which are ~$10 per 4-pack :mad:)

No I live in rural southeastern Ohio. Fortunately I live in a college town where competition requires somewhat better beer selection most everywhere.

In response to the original poster:

I'm sorry but do you really think its acceptable to use the term girly in a negative connotation? Do you hate women? I don't get it.

In response to the original poster:

I'm sorry but do you really think its acceptable to use the term girly in a negative connotation? Do you hate women? I don't get it.

+1 Not to sound rude, but some women do enjoy your so called "man-beers" and tend to hate the so called "girly sissy-beers".

Meh, I've been married for nearly 7 years now, and my wife still don't much care for beer, outside of the "girly," styles. She'll drink a Belgian Wit, some American Pilsners, but she shies away from most other beers, especially darker styles (Cream Stout excepted.)

Yes, some women enjoy all beer styles. I can name at least a dozen of them, many from this very forum. However, most women do not, especially younger women.

If I make the following statement: "Men enjoy sports," it is made with the knowledge that any statement given in generality about humans will never be 100% accurate. As a sociology student, I accept that these generalities will never be 100% accurate, as statements about human conduct never will. However, I also accept that the statement "Men enjoy sports," is true enough that it can be made, with few enough exceptions, to be accepted as truth. We all know that general assumptions made about humans will never be totally accurate, but we accept that they are accurate enough to be declared nonetheless.

Anyway, my previous posts still stand. If anyone wants to get more in depth, we can take it up in the debate forum.

Meh, I've been married for nearly 7 years now, and my wife still don't much care for beer, outside of the "girly," styles. She'll drink a Belgian Wit, some American Pilsners, but she shies away from most other beers, especially darker styles (Cream Stout excepted.)

Yes, some women enjoy all beer styles. I can name at least a dozen of them, many from this very forum. However, most women do not, especially younger women.

If I make the following statement: "Men enjoy sports," it is made with the knowledge that any statement given in generality about humans will never be 100% accurate. As a sociology student, I accept that these generalities will never be 100% accurate, as statements about human conduct never will. However, I also accept that the statement "Men enjoy sports," is true enough that it can be made, with few enough exceptions, to be accepted as truth. We all know that general assumptions made about humans will never be totally accurate, but we accept that they are accurate enough to be declared nonetheless.

Anyway, my previous posts still stand. If anyone wants to get more in depth, we can take it up in the debate forum.

As a guy who could care less about sports and lives close to a beer bar that consistently has women (and yes, they're younger) drinking GOOD beer, I can wholeheartedly say I disagree. My roommates both love beer. The girl I live with just brewed her first beer on my equipment, and she chose an IPA because that's what she likes.

Maybe South Dakota is all stereotypically 1980's, but not out here. There's good beer, and there's **** beer. But to me, there's no girly or manly beer. Good and bad. That's it.

And I have to say, the best beer you can find will be the stuff you can get locally, and brewed by the craft beer type places. Sure, breweries like Stone, Deschutes, Allagash, and others get their products out across the country, but there's not a lot of great stuff that's national and in every store.

A beer that is "sissy" is Bud Lime. Or any other beer that has a flavor added to make it more palatable to people who don't normally like beer. About 16-17 years ago when Zima came out (malt liquor not beer though), I drank it on occasion. Later it became the poster child of sissy alcoholic drinks.

I think Guinness export stout (the stuff in the bottle with the yellow label) is a 'manly' drink. It is widely available. Sissies never drink it.

By using the term 'sissy', I mean no offense to all the sissies out there. I am gambling that nobody on here thinks of themselves as a sissy and is thus offended by it.

Oh come on! Does the term girly really bother you? Don't be so girly ha ha. People that get offended easily offend me.

All that aside I do know one lady that absolutely hates girly drinks. She prefers russian imperial stouts like old rasputin. She is definitely a keeper. Nothing like a lady who drinks a more manly drink then most of the guys at the bar. It's almost a shame she is taken.

I think carnevoodoo is sissy-girly becase he did not take it to the debate forum like a real man..
:off: :tank:

Sissy beer pete's Strawberry Blonde (altho this beer informed me that there was a whole other beer world out there and got me exploring)
lenenkugels berry weiss oh man that one is so bad, was handed one last sumer that lost its label in the cooler ,
what a shocker that was

If I make the following statement: "Men enjoy sports," it is made with the knowledge that any statement given in generality about humans will never be 100% accurate.

As a man who hates sports I'm offended by your use of stereotypes. :D :D

I'd have to agree that any sugar flavored alco-pop like Smirnoff Ice or Mike's Hard Lemonade would be a girly type beer. It's tough to say what a manly beer is, considering most 'men' won't drink any beer darker than vitamin infused urine. They say 'dark beer' is too strong, or stout, or bready (meaning hops), or hoppy (meaning Guinness) or some other nonsense.

When I think sissy beer, the first beer to come to mind is blue moon. When I think man beer, the first beer to pop in to my head is McEwan's Scotch Ale.

ok what are some examples of sissy-beers and good respectable man-beers?

I think my favorite commercial beer is Bell's Hopslam, or Stone Ruination. I like all of Bell's beers, so any of them are worth a try. Bell's Two Hearted Ale is my daily go-to beer, when I'm not drinking homebrew. Another one of my all-time favorites is Arrogant Bastard. I think those are fairly widely available, but probably not at Wal-Mart.

Overall, IPAs are my favorite style. Probably a bit too girly for you, though.

I don't drink girly things like hard ciders, so I stick only with those manly beers.

Maybe South Dakota is all stereotypically 1980's, but not out here. There's good beer, and there's **** beer. But to me, there's no girly or manly beer. Good and bad. That's it.

This is exactly how I feel, too....why is it a gender classification? I grew up in the Pacific NW (and NNNW - in AK too) but followed my wife out to north-central WI a few years ago.......It's a little to the North and East of South Dakota but it DOES certainly retain a lot of that 80's flavor......I can even go mullet hunting in these parts! and beer, well, this place loves it's BMC, but thankfully there's at laest one good liquour store in town, and these days they know me by name and take my requests.

.....which, to answer your original question, have been on the order of DFH Indian Brown, Franziskaner weisses, and Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. But cmon, if you really want a manly beverage, just get yerself some JD, a sleeveless JD t-shirt, a shotgun, a mangy dog, battered woman and porch from which you can suck back said whiskey, vomit, piss, beat said woman and fire said shotgun into the air. oh, and get an eye patch while your at it! that would be manly! and a tattoo of the tazmanian devil, too, bro!

Can't we all just get along?

I'll do the eggshell walk since some people are too sensitive here. It appears that "sissy beer" is the more acceptable term. Oh, and just because there are some examples that contradict an overall trend does not mean that the trend does not exist.

What I really consider "sissy beer" is anything that is supposed to be an ale but a big commercial brewer has abominated by fermenting with lager yeast to make it more appealing to the masses with it's lighter body. Killian's Irish Red is an example. I think Murphy's Red is guilty as well. There are others but you get the picture.

I'm one of those people who'd take offense to 'girly beer,' but more than that I just don't know how to answer it. Is girly light, like a wheat? I like wheats; it went great as I painted my kitchen (or is that out of bounds too... I've never been good at understanding traditional gender roles). I guess something with a lot of dextrins would be manly, since it's thick, right? Where are hops on the manly/girly scale?

I'm not trying to be a sissy liberal commie here, I'm just confused.

I think Guinness export stout (the stuff in the bottle with the yellow label) is a 'manly' drink. It is widely available. Sissies never drink it.
Wal-mart stopped carrying that here in favor of the Draft kind. It made me sad because I liked it so much more. (I know I can still get it at the liquor store, but I work third shift and hate waiting several hours to just go buy beer).

Wal-Mart sells Fat Tire here, I think that's a fairly "anybody" beer.

As a guy who could care less about sports and lives close to a beer bar that consistently has women (and yes, they're younger) drinking GOOD beer, I can wholeheartedly say I disagree. My roommates both love beer. The girl I live with just brewed her first beer on my equipment, and she chose an IPA because that's what she likes.

Ok, on average, men follow sports more then women. To suggest otherwise is incredibly naive. It doesn't make you a "girl" just because you don't like sports.

Ok, there are beers favored by women (again, on average) such as Lindeman's that are still GREAT beers, not **** beers. They just happen to have more appeal to women than some other beers. I myself enjoy Lindemans from time to time.

Ok, on average, men follow sports more then women. To suggest otherwise is incredibly naive. It doesn't make you a "girl" just because you don't like sports.

Ok, there are beers favored by women (again, on average) such as Lindeman's that are still GREAT beers, not **** beers. They just happen to have more appeal to women than some other beers. I myself enjoy Lindemans from time to time.

That's funny, because with the exception of Cuvee Renee, I think Lindemans is pretty much **** beer. Horribly backsweetened raspberry filth. If you want a good sour with some fruit flavor at least do yourself the favor of drinking Cantillon.

See, I'm an EAC through and through, and I won't make any apologies for it. I do think it is funny how you all reacted when I posted like I cared what you call the beer you like. Go ahead and look for your manly beer. I'll be stting in the corner drinking Petrus Aged Pale or Ballast Point Dorado while you figure out which Sam Adams product is more indicative of your truck balls.

No I live in rural southeastern Ohio. Fortunately I live in a college town where competition requires somewhat better beer selection most everywhere.

I know this is old and you might not see this response but be THANKFUL for that selection you have. I graduated and moved away from Athens about 4-5 years ago and went back 2 weekends ago to check out the HBS shop and just reminisce about college days and HOLY CRAP! Craft beer has exploded down there. I really like Broney's and their selection is great. Broney's was an Auto Repair shop when i was down there. I wsa able to enjoy a harpoo IPA with appetizers followed by a Delirium Noel with my meal. I wanted to stay in that restuarant for days. Such a selection on tap, 12 ozers and 750ml bottles. This will be a lunch stop for me EVERY time I come down.

Lists of " 'good beers' " are useless. They are all subjective and most people only like certain types of beer that fit there expectations.

For example, I am jonesing for some Oude Beersel Gueuze. I also know that 90% of our membership isn't and probably wouldn't want any. And that is within a beer brewing forum. That is why lists like this always fall into dumb banter.

I will say this thread is full of awesome replies. I like fly's FAIL reply and carne's butthurt phrase. That's awesome.

Lists of " 'good beers' " are useless. They are all subjective and most people only like certain types of beer that fit there expectations.

For example, I am jonesing for some Oude Beersel Gueuze. I also know that 90% of our membership isn't and probably wouldn't want any. And that is within a beer brewing forum. That is why lists like this always fall into dumb banter.

I will say this thread is full of awesome replies. I like fly's FAIL reply and carne's butthurt phrase. That's awesome.

PIF Oude Beersel, please.

i have taken zero of this personal, you dont know who i am. i am just new to this forum and dissappointed that most of you are older than me and obviously more immature. and i consider myself pretty damn immature sometimes!

i did say manly-beer and girlie-beer, im guilty for making generalizations i guess. but those of you to call me and others out on that are the first ones to point their finger at what the general public thinks "manly" people do like own shotguns and a front porch. i think that makes you just as guily, if not more. newsflash! there are people different than you who live outside your southern california bubble.

that being said, **** it, keep this thread open. i feel important, not even 20 posts and ive got one that went 7 pages so far. is that a record?

i did say manly-beer and girlie-beer, im guilty for making generalizations i guess. but those of you to call me and others out on that are the first ones to point their finger at what the general public thinks "manly" people do like own shotguns and a front porch. i think that makes you just as guily, if not more. newsflash! there are people different than you who live outside your southern california bubble.

My point is that this thread was over before it even started - because the terms 'manly beer' and 'girly beer' are utterly meaningless if you actually want to have a civilized discussion. They're built on empty and stupid presumptions about taste and archaic rules about gender roles.

you people are unbelievable. i know "good beer" is subjective thats why i started the thread. if it was something i could look up on wikipedia i would have done that. sorry if im not very politically correct, but i think you know what i was getting at. but no, most of the replies are about guys that hate sports and other dudes talkin about how manly their wives are.

thank you to those who tried to actually participate. and sorry if this was in the wrong forum.
can a moderator please end this thread please

i have taken zero of this personal, you dont know who i am. i am just new to this forum and dissappointed that most of you are older than me and obviously more immature. and i consider myself pretty damn immature sometimes!

that being said, **** it, keep this thread open. i feel important, not even 20 posts and ive got one that went 7 pages so far. is that a record?

We're going to try to keep this thread on topic, which is recommendations for "manly" beer. Sorry I got a little bent out of shape about it- I'm really tired of bartenders seeing me and offering me a "nice fruity wheat beer" based on my looks alone. I like beer, and I like GOOD beer. Being a man or a woman has nothing to do with it at all.

So, all OT banter will be deleted. This is NOT going to deteriorate into yet another post whoring thread.

A hefty RIS or a good strong robust smoked porter are my ideas of a "manly" beers.

Though strangely, I seem to enjoy it more when wearing the SWMBO's teddie. :D

sissy beers are Michelob Ultra, Budweiser Select, Zima, any kind of cooler, and Corona Light

man beers are any beer ( except for the sissy beers of course ) thats painted on a NASCAR car or on a bass boat... eg Busch, Budweiser, Miller Lite

craft beer counts as a man beer as long as you drink it and shut up about it, if you feel compelled to lecture anyone about the proper glass ware or serving temperature then you're disqualified and must hand in your man card unless they are genuinely interested in hearing it or you're buying the round - otherwise you're a ********* - lol

oh also any beer in a can is automatically man beer no matter if its a sissy brand or not when your buddy shows up with a cooler of it on ice

I'll bet these guys drink paint thinner and laugh about people who drink beer. I'm with the thought that the beer that people consider "manly" is pretty much the **** that is painted on NASCAR cars. They are the ones who market to men doing manly things and being all tough.

I do have to say Stone has perpetuated a tough guy image for a long time, and I know that they have an insane meathead following out here because of the tough image.

About proper glassware. It makes a difference if you are actually trying to taste the ber you're drinking properly. IPAs are great in a pint glass, but the aforementioned gueuze would suffer in it. I don't like drinking out of plastic, either.

1987_camel_ad.jpg

+1 on Michelob Ultra. That stuff tastes awful IMO and I feel obligated to make fun of anyone who drinks it. The guy I share an office with drinks it and the fact that he drinks it is always my fallback any time he offends me. :) I know someone else brought it up but the new Lime beers fall into this category too.

Back