Call me CRAZY Creamsicle ALE....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Dammit.....my orange peel session brew turned out SO EFFING GOOD....I was tempted to make a vanilla float with it.....

8 lbs 2row
1 lb crystal 10L
.5 oz glacier 60 min

1 whole tangerine peel last 10 min of boil (I do mean WHOLE)
1 tbsp coriander last 10 min of boil

yeast

It is effing delicious. Not much coriander, (or just the right amount, hard to say) Either way the beer works.

SO....the ridiculous over the top idea is..........

1 whole vanilla bean, split, last 10 min.............

I WILL do it.

Guess I just wanted to share.

The original is a summer KEEPER. I will use tangerine peel a LOT more often.

That sounds top notch with the tangerine. I have a buddy that used peelings from a grapefruit and orange for his summer wheat, and it turned out great. Can't wait to hear about the bean addition.

My next batch will be a kolsch, and will be divided after secondary into 5 one gallon jugs to dry hop in 5 crazy ways( and not with hops)

That's funny -- I've got a cream ale with tangerine zest and vanilla beans in primary right now, too. I wanted to do a beer for people who aren't that into beer, for my birthday party.

I was shocked at how much "orange" flavor comes through. It isn't bitter or cloying, quite pleasant. Easy too.

I washed the outside really just to get any pesticides off. I did rip it up a little too.

i like the sound of this, need to add to brew list! so no bitterness from the pith of the peel? i found tangerine zest to be way better than generic orange zest in a few recipes i used it in, more aromatic and really pops out

i like the sound of this, need to add to brew list! so no bitterness from the pith of the peel? i found tangerine zest to be way better than generic orange zest in a few recipes i used it in, more aromatic and really pops out

Guess I lucked out. The tangerines just seemed fresher than the oranges.

Mine is not tasting super delicious. Kind of a weird plastic-y note from the zest. Maybe it will age out some? Definitely a little too much citrus in the bouquet, too.

Sorry to hear that :(

did you wash it?

EVERYONE loved mine. From my beer snob Dad to my BMC friends. Alas, it is gone! (the orange ale, I haven't "creamsicled" yet)

cheezydemon3 said:
Sorry to hear that :(

did you wash it?

EVERYONE loved mine. From my beer snob Dad to my BMC friends. Alas, it is gone! (the orange ale, I haven't "creamsicled" yet)

Yeah, rinsed the tangerines, then soaked the zest in vodka for about a day before putting into the fermenter. It seems like just a weird flavor from the additions, not an infection.

Yeah, rinsed the tangerines, then soaked the zest in vodka for about a day before putting into the fermenter. It seems like just a weird flavor from the additions, not an infection.

I tossed the whole peel into the boil. No vodka. It turned out SO good, I will never try any other method.

cheezydemon3 said:
I tossed the whole peel into the boil. No vodka. It turned out SO good, I will never try any other method.

I have done it this way with oranges, lemons and limes I have found it to be the best way to get the flavor without the bitter.

I have done it this way with oranges, lemons and limes I have found it to be the best way to get the flavor without the bitter.

Oh man! You got me thinking!

Bud lite lime is one of the most heavenly........;)

The fake lime taste of that crap makes me sick.

I am betting that fresh lime peel is a whole other thing!

and to think......I thought I didn't like fruit beer :)

cheezydemon3 said:
Oh man! You got me thinking!

Bud lite lime is one of the most heavenly........;)

The fake lime taste of that crap makes me sick.

I am betting that fresh lime peel is a whole other thing!

and to think......I thought I didn't like fruit beer :)

I had to laugh about the bud lime thing cause I have a few friends that like it, yes REAL lime is so much better! The first lemon wheat beer I did I added the peal at flame out and steeped it for 10 mins before cooling. Now that is typically do just let it steep. I did a 10 gallon batch of wheat this year and put lemon in half and lime in the other, big hit this year.

Nice!

Last 10 of the boil is where I got such great flavor, but it was UP FRONT AND CENTER. For a more subtle character, perhaps a really hot steep....I figured boil to sanitize too.

cheezydemon3 said:

Heh, I was originally going to use dried sweet orange peel in the boil, but I was making a Chinook IPA outside and the cream ale inside, and tossed it into the wrong batch. The IPA is pretty good, though!

Heh, I was originally going to use dried sweet orange peel in the boil, but I was making a Chinook IPA outside and the cream ale inside, and tossed it into the wrong batch. The IPA is pretty good, though!

HA!!! that is awesome.

I can't recommend fresh tangerine peel enough!

Dammit.....my orange peel session brew turned out SO EFFING GOOD....I was tempted to make a vanilla float with it.....

8 lbs 2row
1 lb crystal 10L
.5 oz glacier 60 min

1 whole tangerine peel last 10 min of boil (I do mean WHOLE)
1 tbsp coriander last 10 min of boil

yeast

It is effing delicious. Not much coriander, (or just the right amount, hard to say) Either way the beer works.

SO....the ridiculous over the top idea is..........

1 whole vanilla bean, split, last 10 min.............

I WILL do it.

Guess I just wanted to share.

The original is a summer KEEPER. I will use tangerine peel a LOT more often.
I have the same question as JrBeerGut. What yeast did you use?

I'm planning on a brewing binge in a couple weeks when the family goes to visit the in-laws. I'm going to order the ingredients for this, Centennial Blonde, and the Bells Two Hearted clone. If I had more fermenters I probably would do more.

Orange Creamsicle Ale sounds intriguing......any thoughts on maybe throwing some lactose in this recipe for a little residual sweetness? Just thinking that a Creamsicle is normally a sweet treat........could offset with some hop bitterness, but was thinking a little sweetness might complete the illusion.

I was thinking of bumping up the hop bitterness a little with a late addition (maybe 10 min) of Mandarina Bavarian to also play on the tangerine flavors?

I tryed this recipe and came out tasting like a bitter orange, the vanilla bean favour did not stand out. I even threw the vanilla beans into the primary. I think next time I will make an extract out of the vanilla beans and add it to the secondary and use half an tangerine in the boil.

So my attempt to recovery this beer is this, I added 3 tsp of vanilla extract to the secondary, will let it sit for 7 days.
When it comes time for bottling I will add 3/4 of a cup of lactose with my priming sugar to bring in that sweet creamy feel .
I'll keep everyone posted

Back