Call me an a$$ but....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been around the HBing stuff for very long but I think you are wrong Arturo. If all this guy wants is something with alcohol in it, send him to the drug store for some Ni-Quil.

I agree. This is a finite resource: even if you have five gallons, every pint you hand out is one less for you. I'm not stingy with my beer, and I'm not saying that to mean you shouldn't give out any/some/a lot. Give out whatever you want (and I'm generally pretty generous if you show interest). But if it's not going to be appreciated... eff that.

It's your beer and he's asking for some when he's not going to like it. I agree that it's nice that he's interested, but it seems like he wants to try it just because he can. He's going to take it, ruin it and then not enjoy it. It's essentially pouring a bottle down the drain.

You don't owe him anything (as it pertains to beer). If any of you came to my place I wouldn't give you a beer because I had to, I'd give you a beer because I wanted to.

My brother was the same way but after many months of giving him bottles of my various brews, he has come to appreciate fine crafted gourmet ales to a much greater degree. so, give your bro some of every batch you make and explain the details to him each time. He'll likely come to love and appreciate them as you do and he'll love you for it too. Love your brother and love the beer!

It all comes down to him just drinking for the drunk. He's a Sailor Jerry drinker, and that's why he drinks, just to get drunk. Myself and several of my close friends drink beer for the taste, the buzz is just an added bonus. He isn't a beer drinker at all or whatsoever, which is why I refused him one of my dear IIPA's, simply because I knew he wouldn't enjoy it. Like said before, if I have two left I would gladly share it with an appreciator of beer cause I know they would savor the flavor and praise the good taste and not just guzzle it for the buzz.

He's your brother. Give it to him for god's sake.

The time will come when your brothers and sisters start dieing off. Believe me, you would give your left testicle for that guy to be back at your house pouring salt on your homebrew.

He's your brother. Give it to him for god's sake.

The time will come when your brothers and sisters start dieing off. Believe me, you would give your left testicle for that guy to be back at your house pouring salt on your homebrew.

Well said.
My brother isn't dead (AFAIK) but it is often a year or more between hearing from him. I've only seen him once this decade.
He likes beer. What I wouldn't give to share a pint (mine or bought) with him.

I don't think I like your brother, and just randomly adding salt to every beer whether he knows what's up with it or not is dumb. Maybe if he had asked to be enlightened on how to appreciate it, you could give him one. As it is, he sounds ignorant. Let him drink bud and stay away from you last few.

I keep plastic (I know.. plastic) jello shot cups right next to my keezer... Someone who has never tried my beer wants some... they get a "sample cup" first. I waste less beer on those not interested and quickly find out who wants more!

I keep plastic (I know.. plastic) jello shot cups right next to my keezer... Someone who has never tried my beer wants some... they get a "sample cup" first. I waste less beer on those not interested and quickly find out who wants more!

And that is an excellent idea, matter a fact I only give people samples unless I know they're an appreciator of beer. With my bro he'll drink it just the same, even if he doesn't like it, which is great but with the IIPA being my fav I just couldn't part with one of my last six to someone who wouldn't enjoy it. Now if he was a hophead like myself I would've given him one of my last two, I just think it is (as stated earlier) like dumping it down the drain if it isn't enjoyed.

I've seen salt in beer before, if admittedly usually in cheap beer. It seems to be mostly an old man's habit, though. Still, I won't tell someone to not put salt in their stout if they don't tell me not to put ice cream in mine. :drunk:

That the great thing about kegging and another reason I'm looking forward to moving up to it. If someone wants to "try" your beer, you can give them a sample. If they like it, you pull 'em a pint.

I'd have given the beer Philistine brother one bottle to try, but that would be it unless he says "Oh my lord!!! I have SEEN THE LIGHT!!! I will never take beer for granted again!!!". Then he can have two.

So if you guys go out to eat... should the chef come out and make sure you don't put salt on your steak and take it away if you do? Forget about getting it cooked any more than medium rare, you're wrong if you want to do that. Oh and you must prove that you love food and are passionate about steak before eating there.

Who cares if the dude salts his beer. Last few beers are your call to drink or give away regardless of who the person in question is or how he drinks his beer.

Drink what you like.

Who said anything about paying... What if you're at a friends house... is it ok to use salt on the food?

So if you guys go out to eat... should the chef come out and make sure you don't put salt on your steak and take it away if you do? Forget about getting it cooked any more than medium rare, you're wrong if you want to do that. Oh and you must prove that you love food and are passionate about steak before eating there.
No steak for you!:D

soupnazi.jpg

Is it okay to douse an expensive steak in ketchup, take one bite and declare 'this is okay, it tastes like meat'? Sure, totally within your rights. But don't expect any more steak from your friend.

I figure most people start off drinking cheap beer, and aquire a taste for other beer as time goes on. The fact that he is willing to drink and finish anything you make (good or bad) is a good start IMO. Salting it probably not the best thing, but at least he drinks it. Over time, he will probably like it better then his piss beer. Maybe not, but at least you can say "I got my brother drunk on homebrew".

Maybe brew up a high alcohol batch like SWMBO slayer and let him have at it. If he likes it, maybe he will stay away from your IPA =)

People on this thread point out that people should be allowed to drink beer their own way. If it's served at 30 degrees C out of a lady's boot with a garnish of parsley, that's fine. However, I feel that you brother was quite rude. "How does it taste?" "Okay, still tastes like beer".

You spent a day lovingly crafting that beer and another day crafting the IIPA. It is courtesy to provide for a guest, but he insulted the host. Don't give him your beer.

Bah, he just doesn't appreciate beer for what is means to us homebrewers. Nothing unusual about that. If he only wants it to get drunk, then buy some Natty Ice. Cheapest, highest ABV beer I know of. Just tell him that your beer is too expensive to waste on such a poor palate.

If you didn't want to give it to him because you were getting low, well, that's understandable.

But he's your brother, for God's sake. Give him a beer! If he doesn't like it, maybe some day he will. If you are low, make some more! Make him up a nice IIPA and see how he likes it. After a couple of those, he'll be done.

plus, if he's your brother just asking for a taste...you can just give him a taste. Don't pour a whole pint, but just pour a small sampler. Worst case scenario is that your bro showed some genuine interest in your beer, but wound up not liking it and sticks with his BMC. Best case scenario is he says "Holly geeze, this stuff is incredible!!!!" Never know til you try.

Your an A$$! Give your brother a damn beer. you can always brew up a new batch. It seems that most homebrewers forget that they started out drinking the beer that they consider to taste like sh*t now. Everyone's tastes are different, Thank God, or we wouldn't have all of the wonderful varieties of beer there are. You are no better now that you drink IIPA's than you were when you were drinking BMC's from the can. Your tastes change over time and his will too.

-1 on the Nyquil comment. sure there are cheaper ways to get drunk than beer but some people like to drink beer, BMC or not. I love to get drunk, but I'm not going to go chug gasoline

Also, I played Rugby with a guy from Australia and he put salt on all of his beers, not to take away from certain flavors but to get drunk faster. Once you pour the salt on the beer, it causes the beer to foam up extremely fast. Then he would chug the entire beer, gigantic, overflowing head and all. We would do it with him all the time in college and get sh*tfaced.

Back