California V (WLP051) Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenfmn

Reaction score
I started brewing about a month ago and am now doing partial mashes and tinkering with my own recipes etc. I brewed my 5th batch yesterday and my first using a liquid yeast (California V). I typically just re-hydrate dry yeast and pitch it and have had no issues.

My question is in regards to temp. I pitched the yeast (no starter) at around 75 degrees. The label on the vial says to keep temperature around the 75 degree temperature until fermentation begins. It's been sitting at 74 for 15 hours with no visible activity. Everything I'm reading online says this yeast should ferment in the mid to upper 60's. Should I just move it to the basement today where it can get a consistent 68 degree temp or wait till fermentation starts and then move it to a cooler location?

I realize how important temperatures are to the yeast so I hope I didn't screw anything up! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated :mug:

Back