California lager yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherball

Reaction score
So i made a starter last night with wyeasts california lager which comes in the smash pouch, I haven't seen any activity from it at all.

Then i realized that since it is a lager yeast this should mean that it is bottom fermenting, right? But does this mean that there will be no Krausen on top as with an ale yeast. Basically how do i know that the yeast is working if there is nothing going on?

I would appreciate any observations from those who have experience with this strain, what does it look like during fermentation? Is there still Krausen?

I have kept the temp right around 72F.
Thanks

You won't see much krasuen with any yeast starter really, the volume is just too low. I'd go by the airlock activity. It should start up just fine at 72 degrees.

Did the pouch expand before you added it to your starter? That would tell you if it there was viable yeast. Otherwise as mentioned there is usually little apparent activity. As I bubble filtered air through mine there is no airlock activity to observe. Mine get cloudy in 24-48 hours and then when I crash cool them a nice creamy layer of yeast falls to the bottom.

GT

what is the purpose of cooling the starter, is that only if you don't plan to pitch it right away? I just pitched the starter to my wort, it was at 70 degrees.

Back