California Common Recipe any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pawlow05

Reaction score
I came up with this extract/partial recipe for a california common (steam) beer, and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions, comments, etc. It seems to fit nicely into the calculator on tastybrew.com

sugars
5 lb Breiss Golden Light DME

grains (steeped)
.75 lb CaraPils
1 lb Amer. Crystal 49-60 L
1 lb Vienna
.25 lb Amer Crystal 80 L (?)

Hops (all pellets)
1 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer 15 min
.5 oz Northern Brewer 5 min
.25 oz Cascade 5 min
.25 oz Cascade DH

Yeast
Wyeast 2112 Liquid Lager Yeast

Thanks for any comments anybody leaves here
-Cheers!

Beersmith says it will be just fine it will be a darker amber steam but everything looks good to me. Also I suggest using San Francisco Lager least by White Labs

I've brewed this twice. The first time with Nottingham Ale yeast, the basement was at 70, the second time with San Fran Lager yeast at 63. I'm kind of drunk right now because I've had about 6 of those tonight.:D They're awesome. The Nottingham version is my future father-in-law's "Favorite Beer." And he loves some craft brew.

Here's the recipe'

14 oz. 80* L Crystal Malt

steep in a half gal of 150*F water for 20 min(I steeped for 25)

Sparge with another half gallon.

top up to 2.5 gallons

Boil for 60 min, add:

4 lb. Pale Malt syrup
3 lb. Light DME
1.25 oz NB hops

at 15 left add:
.5 oz NB hops
1 tsp. Irish Moss

1 minute left add:

.5 oz NB hops

Cool to 65*

Top up to 5 gallons

Pitch San Fran Lager yeast.

Make a starter. It took almost 30 hours to see airlock activity. I was freaking out. Thought I had screwed up somehow.

Ferment as normal between 58-65*F. Mine was 63.

It takes longer to condition, and definitely needs a few days in the fridge before you drink it. Other than that its great.:mug:

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014

I primed with 1.25 cups DME. conditioned for 3 weeks so far and I love it but it could used more carbonation. Next time I'll try 5 oz. priming sugar.

Schwind said:
I've brewed this twice. The first time with Nottingham Ale yeast, the basement was at 70, the second time with San Fran Lager yeast at 63. I'm kind of drunk right now because I've had about 6 of those tonight.:D They're awesome. The Nottingham version is my future father-in-law's "Favorite Beer." And he loves some craft brew.

Here's the recipe'

14 oz. 80* L Crystal Malt

steep in a half gal of 150*F water for 20 min(I steeped for 25)

Sparge with another half gallon.

top up to 2.5 gallons

Boil for 60 min, add:

4 lb. Pale Malt syrup
3 lb. Light DME
1.25 oz NB hops

at 15 left add:
.5 oz NB hops
1 tsp. Irish Moss

1 minute left add:

.5 oz NB hops

Cool to 65*

Top up to 5 gallons

Pitch San Fran Lager yeast.

Make a starter. It took almost 30 hours to see airlock activity. I was freaking out. Thought I had screwed up somehow.

Ferment as normal between 58-65*F. Mine was 63.

It takes longer to condition, and definitely needs a few days in the fridge before you drink it. Other than that its great.:mug:

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.014

I primed with 1.25 cups DME. conditioned for 3 weeks so far and I love it but it could used more carbonation. Next time I'll try 5 oz. priming sugar.

I really dont think its the amount of DME you used but how long you let it set, it took me 6 weeks to get a good head when I used DME.

RICLARK said:
I really dont think its the amount of DME you used but how long you let it set, it took me 6 weeks to get a good head when I used DME.

Sorry to hijack,

So because DME takes longer should I use priming sugar for bottling now? Will it affect the flavor any differently than the DME?

Hijack over.

Thanks

Schwind said:
Sorry to hijack,

So because DME takes longer should I use priming sugar for bottling now? Will it affect the flavor any differently than the DME?

Hijack over.

Thanks

DMe gives you a more full flavor and In my opinion it is good when used with stouts and Irish reds and porters, but not with a lager type beer, Priming sugar would be better i think because it does not affect the flavor.

The yeast you have 2112 is just fine, that's what I used for my Commons. The cascade isn't really to style, I would use all NB if you can.

Schwind said:
Sorry to hijack,

Hijack over.

Thanks

I have never noticed any flavor, color, or carbonation difference when I used DME vs. priming sugar. I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference in the beers. Use what you'd like that you find most convenient. I've used DME when I was out of priming sugar, and vice versa.

Schwind said:
I've brewed this twice. The first time with Nottingham Ale yeast, the basement was at 70, the second time with San Fran Lager yeast at 63.

dont pitch ale yeast for steam style beers--that is what defines a steam beer--lager yeast fermenting at ale temps;)

Back