California Common question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterZ

Reaction score
Started a (5 gal) batch today. Used two smack packs of Wyeast 2124, pitched at 69 degrees, 1.046. It's parked at room temp now and is starting to perk at 4 hours. Great. The question is this: The California Common can ferment at ale temps, but with this lager yeast does colder = better with this beer? I have an attached garage that is semi heated, and a bottle of water on the garage floor measures 50 degrees. If it gives the beer more of a lager character, I don't mind waiting a little longer - It's already two months to drinking. Should I ferment it in my garage? Afterthought - can expect the garage temp to slowly rise going forward- Spring might actually come to Minnesota. Maybe. Any thoughts?

I kind of like the fruity esthers in a California Common, which would support a higher ferm temp. I did mine in the sixties, came out great, but can't remember which yeast I used.

Back