California Common I brewed is terrible, what to blend with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a California Common that has been in a keg for 3 months. I really don't like it.. it finished quite low at 1.008 and has a funny taste which I can't quite pinpoint.

Instead of dumping it, wondering what beer I could blend in the keg? Should I think about a big hoppy IPA?

OP
elproducto

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There isn't any actual problems with the beer... other than I don't like the taste.

Blending can sometimes fix a bad beer.

dmckean44

Reaction score
Well, until you can fingerpoint the funny taste it's impossible to recommend anything.

OP
elproducto

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a Cali Common, so I don't know if it's just yeast profile that I don't like, or the all Northern Brewer hops.

beeber

Reaction score
A big hoppy IPA should work. I would mix a test glass first before mixing the entire keg. Also it may not be a 50/50 proportion depending on your tastes.

OP
elproducto

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mind Piney.. in fact I love it in my IPA's.. and I use Northern Brewer all the time, just not exclusive. I need to sit down and do some actualy tasting and make notes.. although I have a ****ty palate.

jtejedor

Reaction score
Mix it with your sink drain. I just brewed pliny the elder and because of some yeast issues there was some off flavors. Even with all those hops I could still taste it so if its bad enough I just wouldn't take the chance if it were me. Of course if you have room just let it age for a while. Time can do wonders to beer sometimes.

OP
elproducto

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really need to have someone taste the damn beer who knows what they are talking about. The hell I know, maybe it's decent!

Dr. Francois

Reaction score
With that low a FG, I'd recommend you mix 8oz maltodextrine boiled in water into the keg, followed by dry hops. That's pretty dry.

Latest posts