California Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traughber

Reaction score
Just wondering what attenuation % others that have used this strain have seen with their brews?

Hi Traughber. The last batch I used this strain on was an American IPA. I used the dry version of the strain, US-05 by Fermentis because I hadn't planned ahead and made a starter. It went from 1.062 to 1.010.

Attenuation relies on more than the yeast strain, though. That IPA, for example, was mashed at 149F and I oxygenated it fully, both of which will tend to increase attenuation. On the other hand, I fermented it at 61F, which would have a side-affect of possibly lowering attenuation, but then I raised the temp at the end of fermentation to around 68F to try to give our yeast buddies a little extra push at the end. If you're interested, you can read more about this beer here and here

What are you making and do you have a particular concern about attenuation?

Pappers_ said:
Hi Traughber. The last batch I used this strain on was an American IPA. I used the dry version of the strain, US-05 by Fermentis because I hadn't planned ahead and made a starter. It went from 1.062 to 1.010.

Attenuation relies on more than the yeast strain, though. That IPA, for example, was mashed at 149F and I oxygenated it fully, both of which will tend to increase attenuation. On the other hand, I fermented it at 61F, which would have a side-affect of possibly lowering attenuation, but then I raised the temp at the end of fermentation to around 68F to try to give our yeast buddies a little extra push at the end. If you're interested, you can read more about this beer here and here

What are you making and do you have a particular concern about attenuation?

I did an American IPA. I had a boil over and seemed to add to much water to the batch(noob mistakes). All which lowered my SG(1.102-1.070) from what I had on beersmith. I'm fermenting in a chest freezer @ 70 and pitched a 1.5l starter with 2 vials. Just trying to figure out what my ABV is going to be after my brewing foopas.

I did an American IPA. I had a boil over and seemed to add to much water to the batch(noob mistakes). All which lowered my SG(1.102-1.070) from what I had on beersmith. I'm fermenting in a chest freezer @ 70 and pitched a 1.5l starter with 2 vials. Just trying to figure out what my ABV is going to be after my brewing foopas.

If you measured your starting gravity, then you'll be fine, just measure the final gravity when you're done and pop the numbers in Beersmith and it will calculate the ABV. Since you're using a chest freezer, you might consider bumping the temp down a little. 65F is the highest I'd go - it will give you a cleaner, less estery flavor profile.

Pappers_ said:
If you measured your starting gravity, then you'll be fine, just measure the final gravity when you're done and pop the numbers in Beersmith and it will calculate the ABV. Since you're using a chest freezer, you might consider bumping the temp down a little. 65F is the highest I'd go - it will give you a cleaner, less estery flavor profile.

Yeah I was soothing for a higher SG. Took your advise and dropped the temp some. Fermentation seems to be doing good at this point.

I got 80% out of WLP001 with my American amber recently. 65-67 ferm temps. Free rise to 70+ after 2 weeks.

Back