Calculator for sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i have first runnings of 1.078...is there like a calculator, that i'd be able to enter my expected lauter effec, and get a prediction for pre-boil gravity?

just kinda anxious right now, would be neat if there was! i can try and follow along and enter current and expected into wort dilution in beersmith, but.....if it would do it automatically, it'd be great.

:mug:

Have you seen @doug293cz's spreadsheet?

i have if you mean the one about steps in a batch sparge? i had pre run off of 1.07x, i forget exactly what, i ended up with 11.5 gallons of 1.047. started with 7 gallons and 19.5lbs of grain. but i really wanted to know what the pre-boil was going to be. before i did my second step at 162f, i was getting pre runnings of 1.054, be nice if i know if i actually have to do a second step quicker.....

it was just a random thought, maybe i should have posted it in that thread....just take a sample from the mash tun, punch in some stuff, and know what your pre boil will be ;) :mug:

Right, you fly sparge. Batch sparging makes the math a little easier.

tough to teach an old dog new tricks! not imposible though! i'll keep that in mind.... :mug:

(for some reason thinking how to put a humorus twist on that, i had the idea of collecting left overs from BMC cans at the dump, and distilling it for alco-pop? be like the COOL version of claw hammer! ;) 🤣)

Hmm. Distilling the dregs of BMC cans, back wash included, does not sound to me like a quality beverage in the making.

🤢

and yet it was the first thing that popped into my mind.....i wonder if you could distill the alcohol, while melting the cans for brew kettles? lol

anyway, i'd imagine a calc like doug's for a fly sparge would be kinda complicated, having to take into account speed of runoff and such, but thought just usual effec would do it....

anyway, i'd imagine a calc like doug's for a fly sparge would be kinda complicated, having to take into account speed of runoff and such, but thought just usual effec would do it....
Doing a simulation of a fly sparge is incredibly complicated. A batch sparge is a static process (if done correctly) so a simulation can be done with algebra. A fly sparge is a dynamic process, so modeling requires multiple differential equations, that need to be solved simultaneously. Building a general case model for fly sparging, that could be used for almost any system, is way beyond my skills.

Brew on :mug:

Doing a simulation of a fly sparge is incredibly complicated. A batch sparge is a static process (if done correctly) so a simulation can be done with algebra. A fly sparge is a dynamic process, so modeling requires multiple differential equations, that need to be solved simultaneously. Building a general case model for fly sparging, that could be used for almost any system, is way beyond my skills.

yeah, i thought i'd ask the forums...i was punching in what OG/Pre-Boil i usually get with first running and doing division and stuff with it, then multiplying what i KNOW i get with store bought with a certain first run off...it worked out pretty good "this batch" but would love a calc...

i mean i was like 20lbs store bought gets me 90% "BEERSMITH2" 90% effec at first run off of 1.088, so if i'm pulling 1.076 with home malt...(76/88)x90 should be what i can enter into beersmith to guess my OG and then it tells me my est. pre boil.....pretty close this time....

Hmm. Distilling the dregs of BMC cans, back wash included, does not sound to me like a quality beverage in the making.

🤢
I may know some people who have distilled the leftovers, dregs, and dump buckets, from homebrew competitions. They may have given me some of the final product, and it may have been quite tasty. It's amazing the sins that multiple runs thru a still will cure.

Back