Calculation question on backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
I'm trying something new this year. I've always added white sugar or the occasional concentrate to cider to sweeten it after fermentation. It was suggested to me by the owner of the vineyard I picked my grapes to freeze some of the original juice, then use to backsweeten it. Question is, if I use 1.5 quarts of juice which is a 1.064 and fill my 3 gallon carboy to the top with .990 wine, what will the gravity be?

I'm trying something new this year. I've always added white sugar or the occasional concentrate to cider to sweeten it after fermentation. It was suggested to me by the owner of the vineyard I picked my grapes to freeze some of the original juice, then use to backsweeten it. Question is, if I use 1.5 quarts of juice which is a 1.064 and fill my 3 gallon carboy to the top with .990 wine, what will the gravity be?

1.5 quarts of 1.064 + 3 gallons of .990 wine = 3.38 gallons of .998 wine.

Thanks Yooper. I'm actually going to add the 1.5 quarts to my 3 gallon carboy then add the wine to fill it to the top to make a total of 3 gallons "I will just save the leftover dry wine and drink it later. So with your calculations, I'm assuming it will be around a 1.00 or a bit over.

1.5 quarts of 1.064 + 3 gallons of .990 wine = 3.38 gallons of .998 wine.

Its probably because I just finished my degree, but could you show your work (respectfully) I was wondering how to do calculations like this myself. I assume you are taking gravity points per gallon in some sort of algebraic formula.

64 gravity points in 1.5 quarts. 64/(4/1.5)= 24 points per gallon. 24/3 gallon= 8 points added per gallon. .990+.008=.998

Thanks Doc & all. I wish I was better at math. It has so many applications :eek:

Back