Calculating Volumes of CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxtail

Reaction score
hello all,
after a year of trial and error style brewing, Kazoo Brewing of Oakland is sending forth our best bottle to the Oregon Brew Crew's Fall Classic to get some professional opinions, and man, the entry form is exacting!

Does anyone know how to determine volumes of CO2 in a bottle conditioned beer? I added 5.5 ounces of priming sugar (corn) to the racking bucket.

Thanks in advance for your insights!
Foxtail

These calculators always make me nervous... every recipe book always says 3/4 cup sugar. When I measure that out, I see about 3.5 ounces of sugar.

The calculators often say use 5+ ounces. I'm so paranoid of bottle bombs that I'm afraid to go above 3.5 ounces...

Are you all using 5+ ounces?

i've seen the opposite. For a Bitter (1.3 volumes) that fermented at 65F it shows 1.06 oz corn sugar.

You don't start to creep above the 3.5oz mark until you hit about 2.2 volumes, and you don't pass 5oz until 2.8.

I have, actually had a couple of my bottles burst, but I think it was due to a pre-existing crack in one and some temperature fluctuations in the other. I am using 5+ ounces corn sugar, which is a little less than twice normal amount. I calculated about 2.8 volumes, which is about right for the style (farmhouse saison). thanks again for your help!

Back