Calculating Pre Boil Gravity when using DME in the recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I want to make sure I'm thinking of this correctly. This is an AG recipe but I'm adding DME to bump up the abv since I couldn't fit 24lbs of grain in my MLT. So in Beersmith my recipe Preboil graivity is 1.082 that is with including the DME. However I don't plan on adding the DME until 15 left in the boil. So if I'm thinking of this right I need to delete the DME from the recipe and now the preboil gravity will be at my target for collecting my wort, which in this case would be 1.069. Am I on the right track here.

Sounds like a partial mash and you want to know what your gravity should be without the extract.

If so, yes you are correct. Omit the extract from your recipe and see what your preboil gravity should be. Once you have that value, put the extract back in so it calculates the gravity at the end of the boil.

Sounds like a partial mash and you want to know what your gravity should be without the extract.

If so, yes you are correct. Omit the extract from your recipe and see what your preboil gravity should be. Once you have that value, put the extract back in so it calculates the gravity at the end of the boil.

Its an AG recipe that I'm adding DME to to increase the abv since I couldn't fit the large grain bill in my MLT, it still has 20lbs of grain in it.

Back