Calculating original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExCathedra

Reaction score
I took a gravity reading before pitching the yeast of my latest batch and it read 1.097 -- way to high. The fermenter was sealed and stored before I realized I took my reading before adding 2.5 gallons of water to "top it off". Is there a way to calculate my "actual" O.G. based on my reading before topping off (it was a 2.5 gallon boil, by the way)? I'd rather not mess with the fermenter at this point.

Thanks.

[(2.5 x 1.097)+(2.5x1)]/5=1.049

In your case, assuming your water SG=1.000, and you put 2.5 gallons into the fermenter when you took your gravity reading.

If your gravity was 1.097 and that was half of your volume, then your actual gravity would be half that, or 1.048-49. That doesn't account for boil loss, however. If you started with 2.5 gallons and boiled for an hour, you lost some of your starting volume, which would change your OG. 1.048 or 49 is just a ballpark figure.

Back