Calculating ABV after adding fruit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Back on 4/26 I brewed a all grain Wisconsin Belgian Red with a OG of 1.068. I had let it run it's course for two weeks before racking it onto 6lbs of cherries which I ran through my processor. Everything went in aside from the peelings. OG at the end of secondary was 1.014. Because of the cherries I went through 2 more weeks of secondary fermentation before it stabilized enough to bottle yesterday. My final gravity was only 1.012 which is where it rested after for the last week.

I had to use a blow off hose on both first and secondary. Both had very active and long fermentation activity. I'm a lil surprised my FG was still a bit low. I would have thought it to be closer to 1.003-5 or so, if not lower just based on the amount of activity over the last month.

It turned out to be a very beautiful looking batch. Perhaps a bit more wine'ish tasting than I was expecting. I expected a much sweeter cherry taste. I'm thinking perhaps I should have considered stopping fermentation with something instead of letting it run its course. We'll see how she turns out. I'm showing a 7.3ABV. Would the water in the cherries dilute the previous alcohol concentration and then just catch back up to where it was before adding the cherries? I used White Labs Belgian Ale WLP550 yeast with a starter.

i-wJ26K7N-L.jpg

Back