Calculate abv after fruit additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bedman

Reaction score
So I brewed a straight up American wheat. Og was 1.051. Transferred to secondary at 1.009 on top of vintners harvest blueberry fruit purée (49oz at 1.032-1.057 og) and blackberry fruit purée (49oz at 1.036-1.057). FG after 2 weeks of secondary was 1.006. Math slays me. I know I won't get the abv exact since I don't know the exact OG of the purées but I would like to know the range it might be in. Thanks! I may name it Barney Blood due to it looking like cloudy purple kool aid.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, the problem with adding fruit is that you don't get net much, if any, additional alcohol because you are also adding water with the sugar.

Whole fruit is roughly 10ppg. If you are adding more than one pound per gallon wort, you aren't significantly affecting the ABV of a beer. Fruit purée has a greater ppg, but it's still not enough to raise the ABV much.

And when you run the calculation, it doesn't matter if you assume you add it before or after primary fermentation is complete. It works out to the same value either way.

Wow. That makes so much sense. I feel enlightened yet moronic. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back